Jockey Journal Forum banner

OHV conversion: My take on a Magnum

10K views 49 replies 29 participants last post by  el diablo 
#1 ·
Hello,

First off, I'm skipping the intro since I'm not new around here (AKA mrwhitepipes). I have alot of time invested in this bike and I want to use it as an example of what I can do, and also to asociate it with my bussiness, Antique Speed and Machine. I could not figure how to change my name, so I started off fresh. If anyone could help me with this, or is upset at the way I did it, please let me know.

I love hybrid engines. My favorite bike is the Harley DAH. I will never be able to afford one, so I figured I'd build this. I started collecting parts about 5 years ago, and after well over 5000 hours, it's finally complete. I view it as both my expression of what I think is cool, and for thoes who know their parts, its kind of a scavenger hunt to find all the details.

Theres alot to it, and instead of just listing what was done, I'll keep adding pictures and info as people chime in. I hope you all enjoy it!!!

HERE GOES!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
ha, I just saw those pics yesterday, lol

I met your brother where we work, Or was that you? (Im pretty sure he said the pics were of his brothers bike).

The bike is beyond cool and I cant wait to see it in person someday. I only had a min to flip through the pics since he found me while I was punching out, so tell him to come find me again.

Again, nice build.

Jeff

#7 ·
Wow. That's wild. Great job. I love the safety wire or springs or whatever they are on the exhaust. What is the purpose of the linkage going from the pedal to the exhaust?

#9 ·
Yes, it's all sporty parts on top. I wanted to run one of my vertical Wico's so that meant to carb had to go out the left side. I made new flanges for the cylinders and drilled through the fins so the studs use the head bolt pattern.

Attachments

#45 ·
The rockers are stock sportster. I replaced the bushings in them with bronze "T" bushings to provide a replaceable bearing surface with side-to-side wear. There are hardened washers between the rockers and the insides of the brackets. O-rings provide a little bit of a seal. The rockers pivot on tubes that are slightly longer than the rocker is wide. This way, when the through bolt it tightened down, it does not tighten on the rocker. Grease is supplied throught the bolt.

Attachments

#12 ·
The valvetrain is pretty simple. Andrews R5 cams and '48-'53 Panhead lifters. The lifters are taller than th 45" lifters. Th lifter blocks are machined to accecpt an oil seal in the tops to keep dirt out. I made little decorative cones that press on the lifters (just under the adjusters). The key is using the later Servicar cam cover. The sportster cams fit in alot easier.

#15 ·
jcs64
I remeber your DL restoration, I met you at Lebanon Valley one time for their bike meet. Too bad that meet is dwindling down to nothing. I have a few friends in AHRMA, If only they could do a vintage flat track race there. Mabey it could be tied in with the Rhinebeck AMCA meet?

Its funny that you work with my brother. Our father works there too. You should stop by some time!!

#20 ·
Hello,

First off, I'm skipping the intro since I'm not new around here (AKA mrwhitepipes). I have alot of time invested in this bike and I want to use it as an example of what I can do, and also to asociate it with my bussiness, Antique Speed and Machine. I could not figure how to change my name, so I started off fresh. If anyone could help me with this, or is upset at the way I did it, please let me know.

I love hybrid engines. My favorite bike is the Harley DAH. I will never be able to afford one, so I figured I'd build this. I started collecting parts about 5 years ago, and after well over 5000 hours, it's finally complete. I view it as both my expression of what I think is cool, and for thoes who know their parts, its kind of a scavenger hunt to find all the details.

Theres alot to it, and instead of just listing what was done, I'll keep adding pictures and info as people chime in. I hope you all enjoy it!!!

HERE GOES!!!
Wow. The freaking level of trickness on so many things is truly impressive. Is that front brake drum also magnesium? What does she weigh?

#29 ·
Beautiful craftsmanship and ingenuity going on here.

I too thought this was a Crocker conversion, so now I'm all the more impressed with what you've done!!

I too ride a hybred, an EVO bottom with a TC on top. My mentor (who has built tons of hybred engines) is now building a UL bottom with a shovel on top.

oh...and I've got a friend that rides a knuckle that his rockers are completely exposed, and are grease lubed as well. (great for the nose pickers!!)

I may very well be riding out to Boston this summer, so I should be passing right by Albany. Will definately make a point of stopping in and checking out your work and operation in person!!

Well done sir!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.