Jockey Journal Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts
Yes, it's all sporty parts on top. I wanted to run one of my vertical Wico's so that meant to carb had to go out the left side. I made new flanges for the cylinders and drilled through the fins so the studs use the head bolt pattern.
Love it, man! Not many craftsmen these days, willing or able to do a conversion like that. A labor of love. And don't mind the peanut gallery. You built what you wanted. It's gorgeous!:)

Do you have any idea of what you are looking at with those wheels or why they are there?
I do. But that doesn't mean I have to think they look right on that bike just because they're rare and expensive. That bike is a fantastic example of craftsmanship and innovation. It deserves a nice set of spoke wheels that look right for the vintage time period it's style evokes. Style is, of course, subjective, so everybody's entitled to their own opinion.

Bob

I do. But that doesn't mean I have to think they look right on that bike just because they're rare and expensive. That bike is a fantastic example of craftsmanship and innovation. It deserves a nice set of spoke wheels that look right for the vintage time period it's style evokes. Style is, of course, subjective, so everybody's entitled to their own opinion.

Bob
Just checking. I don't normally like mags. But because of what that bike is, I think those wheels (which have been around since 1959) are highly appropriate. Just my opinion.

Beautiful craftsmanship and ingenuity going on here.

I too thought this was a Crocker conversion, so now I'm all the more impressed with what you've done!!

I too ride a hybred, an EVO bottom with a TC on top. My mentor (who has built tons of hybred engines) is now building a UL bottom with a shovel on top.

oh...and I've got a friend that rides a knuckle that his rockers are completely exposed, and are grease lubed as well. (great for the nose pickers!!)

I may very well be riding out to Boston this summer, so I should be passing right by Albany. Will definately make a point of stopping in and checking out your work and operation in person!!

Well done sir!!!

The sixties dragster front wheels and the belt drive do not look right on an otherwise really nice 40s style bike. I am with Robbie on that one.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
Thanks to everyone for their responses. It's interesting what people pick up on and what they don't. No takers on the oil tank? I chose the wheels (they are actually pre-American Racing, note the internal, vertical rib on the spokes) due to all the aluminum I was using elsewhere. The brake drums have pressed on, aluminum cooling fin rings. I also used the fin look on the gas tank strip. I doubt the gas tanks need cooling any more than the brakes do, I just liked the look.

Attachments

Thanks to everyone for their responses. It's interesting what people pick up on and what they don't. No takers on the oil tank? I chose the wheels (they are actually pre-American Racing, note the internal, vertical rib on the spokes) due to all the aluminum I was using elsewhere. The brake drums have pressed on, aluminum cooling fin rings. I also used the fin look on the gas tank strip. I doubt the gas tanks need cooling any more than the brakes do, I just liked the look.
I asked about the brakes. Did you turn the rings yourself?

Discussion starter · #39 ·
I asked about the brakes. Did you turn the rings yourself?
Yes, they were big chunks of 6061 to start with. I first turned the outsides of the brake drums (which was a big pain, the rear one is a re-pop and it was way off!!!) to figure out the finish ID of the rings. After I machined them, I textured them to look like they were sand cast. They were about .002"-.003" press fit. I have a major amount of pictures in the middle of the process missing due to a memory stick getting ruined.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.