Jockey Journal Forum banner

OHV conversion: My take on a Magnum

10K views 49 replies 29 participants last post by  el diablo 
Hello,

First off, I'm skipping the intro since I'm not new around here (AKA mrwhitepipes). I have alot of time invested in this bike and I want to use it as an example of what I can do, and also to asociate it with my bussiness, Antique Speed and Machine. I could not figure how to change my name, so I started off fresh. If anyone could help me with this, or is upset at the way I did it, please let me know.

I love hybrid engines. My favorite bike is the Harley DAH. I will never be able to afford one, so I figured I'd build this. I started collecting parts about 5 years ago, and after well over 5000 hours, it's finally complete. I view it as both my expression of what I think is cool, and for thoes who know their parts, its kind of a scavenger hunt to find all the details.

Theres alot to it, and instead of just listing what was done, I'll keep adding pictures and info as people chime in. I hope you all enjoy it!!!

HERE GOES!!!
Wow. The freaking level of trickness on so many things is truly impressive. Is that front brake drum also magnesium? What does she weigh?

I do. But that doesn't mean I have to think they look right on that bike just because they're rare and expensive. That bike is a fantastic example of craftsmanship and innovation. It deserves a nice set of spoke wheels that look right for the vintage time period it's style evokes. Style is, of course, subjective, so everybody's entitled to their own opinion.

Bob
Just checking. I don't normally like mags. But because of what that bike is, I think those wheels (which have been around since 1959) are highly appropriate. Just my opinion.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. It's interesting what people pick up on and what they don't. No takers on the oil tank? I chose the wheels (they are actually pre-American Racing, note the internal, vertical rib on the spokes) due to all the aluminum I was using elsewhere. The brake drums have pressed on, aluminum cooling fin rings. I also used the fin look on the gas tank strip. I doubt the gas tanks need cooling any more than the brakes do, I just liked the look.
I asked about the brakes. Did you turn the rings yourself?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.