Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been looking at the ness low line frame i have and thinking its time to put the bike together with the hex cut barels and heads with polished cases that have been sitting already to go for way too long.

problem is i have a nos 16x4 invader with brand new 160 tire sitting that i want to use.

I know the chain will hit the tire. I dont want to make an offset sprocket for 1/4 i need. dont want to cut motor mount off the frame.

was thinking to weld the top holes in rear motor mount and re drill them 1/4 over and mill 1/4 off the vertical edge off setting the motor to the cam side.

new front mounts are easy to make so that is no concern.

think there is plenty of room around the primary

has any one done it tried it any thoughts on it??????
let me know your thoughts.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Slag,
You sold me the Drilled Sportster Sprocket, You do nice Work Buddy! Please PM me your Cell when you can,
Pete of Precision Custom Cycles on RT 10 in Whippany does alot of Ness work as he is a Dealer, 'as well as a Great Guy', I'd connect with Pete, he may be able to help you,
As far as your Idea just make sure that you still incorporate the Top MotorMount..
Monte

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm thinking it's less work to machine the sprocket. I've seen one drag only sporty with the motor offset, and it definitely looked "off". In terms of man hours, the sprocket is the easy way to go. You've got the equipment to do it, it's just how much time you want to spend.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah I would think a 1/4" offset sprocket would be easier. I think PBI sells them.
Or just weld the outer section of a new sprocket right on to an old sprocket with the teeth turned off it. They are about 5/16 thick so would be just about the right offset for ya.

But if you want to move the engine over, with rigid frame and no swingarm pivot in behind the primary case it should work. You would not think a quarter inch offset would even be noticeable.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
other reason i do not want to offset sprocket is because of the week main shaft bearings on the iron head.

also want to try and keep the stockish sprocket cover.

on my supercharged iron head i made a 7/8 offset sprocket with a big twin primary bearing for support.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mount all welded up and remachined. Looks pretty good and motor seems to look better in the frame.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.