Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here I am, straight from The H.A.M.B. I grew up around old cars and bikes, like I'm sure most all of you guys and gals have. The year I was born, my old man torn down and completely rebuilt his '78 Kawasaki Z1R-TC.....yep, that's right, TurboCharged, and 1000cc's of tire-boiling fury. :D He built a frame jig, cut the head off, and laid 'er back. Then made an extended swing-arm for this nasty beast, because the back tire wanted to go around the front tire when it started boosting up around 10-12psi. It was basically an NHRA-legal drag-bike-in-sheep's clothing. ;) To cool the powerplant down, he added an alcohol injection system that had a one-way valve, so that when it started boosting, it would blow more alcohol in the engine according to how much boost you wanted to give her.

Now, you can imagine how many stories I have to tell about this, and one in particular has to be mentioned here.

Going to one of his buddies' house one day, he gets the idea to "open 'er up". Well, coming down an undisclosed portion of an old highway, he rips it up around 12 grand in third gear.....at about 130 the front wheel rises up from the ground like the walking dead. At that very moment, the wastegate sticks open, IMMEDIATELY pegging the 15psi boost gauge blowing the oil-filled gauge all over his helmet, completely covering his field of vision. He gets it kicked into 4th gear and reaches his destination, only about a quarter mile away. He steps off the bike, white as a ghost and shaking like a top fuel dragster, and his buddy asks if that was him he just heard coming down the highway a quarter mile away.

He told me he never once rode that bike and wasn't afraid of it. I got my first "crotch rocket" a few years ago, only to find out that my girlfriend, now wife, was pregnant. Adios to the bike, hello to daddy-hood. Now, fastforward about 4 years, and I've run into some basketcase Triumphs that I couldn't pass up. I've got an OIF frame, and two bolt-on hardtail frames. To go along with all the frames, I've got three T140 Bonneville engines....all being 750's of course, and a box of parts. Now that we've got this awesome board, I'm sure I'll be visiting and asking a shitload of questions to get at least one of these damn Trumpets on the road and terrorizing the locals ! Thanks for reading this long ass intro and hope to see some of you guys out and about !

-Aaron

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Know where Sherman is ? 'Bout an hour north of Dallas. There's a couple in our Studebaker club that are from Rowlett. That's east of Dallas, right ? Looks like there's a few people from the north part of Texas, which is great, 'cause I'm gonna have a lot of questions and need some help on this Triumph project I've got. What are you running, car/bike-wise ?

-Aaron

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Cool Poncho, is it a '56 ? Like the bike too, did you do the paint on it ? On another note, what kind of brushes do you use for real fine detail stuff, and where do you get them ? I need to get into lettering and pic painting, but there's no one anywhere around me that even does this shit anymore, so I can't really ask any questions about pinstriping, know what I mean ? LOL !

-Aaron

EDIT: Forgot to mention that my dad is from Blue Ridge, ironically. My grandmother still lives there, you may know her.....Lucy Fleming. Not sure how old you are, but you may know some of my dad's friends down there also....The Elders....Bo, Brad, Curtis, and I can't ever remember the women-folks names ! OOPS !

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Hey Hard Luck, welcome! Hey Chandler, how's it goin? I've seen you over on the HAMB. I'm in Carrollton now, but I used to live in McKinney so I know where Sherman is.

I've got an OIF frame, and a T-120 motor that I got from my uncle with a cracked timing case. I picked up a fresh set of cases on EBAY, now I need to have the crank turned and start putting her back together. I've never built a Triumph motor so it's gonna be interesting. Have you built one before? Wanna sell one of those T-140s?

Keep us posted on your progress.

-JEB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.