Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I build a battery box and changed out oil tanks over the winter.
The battery box is welded to the frame and the battery is held in with metal strap bolted down.

The PC545 that I ran all last year failed within a month and then a few more.. . I checked and double checked my electrical system and it does not seem to be over or undercharging. (Stock '79 charging system.)

Odyssey told the battery shop that the failures were caused by a terminal breaking in the battery, and I my engine vibrates too much. The engine is a bone stock '79 1200 Shovelhead, not some big stroker or anything.

Is anyone else running a Odyssey in a solid mounted scenario?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have a Odyssey in my ironhead sitting in a box welded to the frame. It has not failed. I did put some rubber from a innertube under and around it to keep the frame from rubbing the plastic case.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I switched to a gel battery last year, but it was defective, or junk, or generally sucked. I'm going back to an acid battery in a horseshoe tank that's solid mounted.

I'm using a cut up mouse pad under the battery to try to dampen the vibration.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
My last gel battery only lasted five years. My current one is on three and still going strong. My "box" is rubber mounted, though.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Put rubber under it , that helps. Harley deca 4. years old bolted down on rubber on a rigid. Still works like new. I had an Odyssey before that. I killed it but it was too small cca so that wasn't a true test. The rubber is a piece of truck liner rubber. I bet another reason it lasted was it was exposed to the air with just a top and side posts. They get hot.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Definetly put as much dampening material around it as you can to absorb the vibes. I hate adding acid. Sealed is the way to go.

Sixball

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Dug this up in "Search" Definetely run a gel. Harley's hold up great in my experience and are competitively priced. But, haven't found one BIG enough to replace the old school lead Acid one in My 84 FL. Anybody know if one is made for this application? I want the OEM size, which is HUGE, mainly to keep the stock look.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You can also run a lithium ion battery there smaller lighter and pretty tuff, the ballistic ones are solid state in an epoxy resin, this one is for scooters but also recomended for kick only bikes

·
Registered
887 Posts
You can also run a lithium ion battery there smaller lighter and pretty tuff, the ballistic ones are solid state in an epoxy resin, this one is for scooters but also recomended for kick only bikes
Any info on this one? I mean as far as actual dimensions, and where to buy?

Sixball

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've been using this Odyssey gel battery for atleast 7 years now on my bike. It's tipped over to gain room for the drive chain. I have this adhesive backed dense foam under the battery to help against vibration, and it's on the bottom of the aluminum strap holding the battery down. Absolutely no problems with the battery at all yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
I just ordered one of those Ballistic batteries off ebay for my evo sporty, about a third the size and weight of lead acid with 410 CCA, specs are pretty impressive.

·
Registered
54 Posts
On those lithium ion batteries, check if you need a special charger for the battery if it starts going low. I was checkin out a lithium ion battery at the Motorcycle Expo show and liked the size of the battery but was dissappointed that it requires a special charger. the guy working the booth said the battery is like those used in laptops, and the charger has some kind of special voodoo electronics involved

·
Registered
145 Posts
On the ballistic ones it said a regular charger will work. If the start going bad you can hit them with a DC arc welder and reset the battery. Thats what we do with our robots at work once the batteries LI batteries start going south.

·
Registered
63 Posts
3 years on the same battery. I have never had one run down. When i put mine up for winter i unplug it. Plug it back in when im ready to ride. Starts everytime...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts