Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday while at the dealership, ( I was returning wrong parts, long story) and realized a couple of things....

1)it was a Monday....What the? turns out they are open Sundays too! (service only, but god damn) talk about greed! I though it was today(tues.)! I felt bad, cuz I'm the reason they were open? No but I kinda was, there were lots of people in there too!

2) My baby girl, picks up everthing, you know she is at that age, so she hands me a bottle, "genuine" Harley Bug remover......$4.95 for like 2oz.!

I'm getting older everday and the more I look back the more I realize things really were better back then. Shops were closed on Sunday and Monday ( race day and travel day ), that's just the way it is...er was.
And bug remover was a finger nail or a rag with carb cleaner on it.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
i wasnt around backthen, but fuck new dealers, thats for sure!

·
Registered
825 Posts
I end up in the Woodlands (upper class houston suburb) Dealer about once a year.....

Cool thing, their manager knows people....once a year I am in there and he knows my name and each bike I have...."How's the cop bike?...How's the sporty? How's the pan?" That is COOL!!! I suppose I stand out as a differnt breed but reguardless it impresses me.

Crappy thing.....the parts guys are spending their time advising yuppies on whether the skull pegs or the flame pegs are better suited to their personality....uggggg.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I used to work in a custom shop a couple years back, a few months ago, I'm waiting on a car dealer, so i take a walk, the local HD dealer is down the road, so i walk in (T-shirt and flip flops) - hey i live on the coast!

and notice a bike for sale i had a hand in...

So i walk up and take a look... All the guys working there are just staring at me, like you don't belong in here... eyeing my (skinny) wallet...

Not one person asks if they can help and i'm the only person in there!

All i seen them do was put the price tag on...!

So i had a little chuckle to myself and left.

a 40 second conversation may have shown i know more about there bikes than 90% of there customers.... but hey. That's damn fine by me!

Bit im definately stoked to see there's so many young guys giving props to "my kind of bikes". Don't get me wrong tons of respect for the old timmers, just glad to see other young guys doing it. Sometimes it's nice to know that your not teh only one! Thank fuck for the few guys that i know and the JJ!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm new to things, but here's my 0.02:

The local triumph dealer here wanted to charge me $230- to do an official first service on my bike (change the oil, check the blinkers, etc). I had to ask them to repeat the price because I thought I misheard them! Yeah, I know "motorcycle oil" is supposed to be so much better (but no one can say exactly why), but $230 is bullshit. I'll do that myself, thank you.

A guy on my Basic Rider Course - "I want to get as much chrome on my bike as I can, and really stretch out the front forks with a crazy rake. I want my bike to stand out."

I'm sure it'll stand out - In the same way every other "custom" bike does. Nice guy, but I don't share his taste in style.

They all look the same after a while. Green and black tribal flames with skulls and lightning, and maybe some naked girls airbrushed in, too. Yes, very cool, uniqe, and intersting, sir.

On a good note, I got into a conversation with a guy at the local auto parts store, and he called OCC "professional motorcycle part assemblers" - I liked that one.

·
Registered
896 Posts
The local dealers here are okay. I've been able to get some NOS parts for my Ironhead that have been long out of production. One of the parts guys is an old crusty guy that rides a shovelhead, another one is a younger guy that also has an ironhead sporty. If I go to one of those two guys I ussually get exceptional service.

Of course if you go to the dealer here on a sunday you're likely to find about 50 or so guys standing around admiring each others chromed excessories (not a typo) eating barbaque and listening to boring classic rock cover bands. On one hand it's kind of cool, even though it's not my scene or people I relate to, a fair share of them are active duty military or vets sharing something they have in common. On the other hand it seems like a waste to see so many bikes sitting in a parking lot on a perfectly nice riding day.

I wasn't around for the "good ole days" but I've been lucky enough to find a couple shops over the years that are like a time warp. There are still some good people out there that aren't just in this to make a buck.

·
Registered
770 Posts
big_al said:
I end up in the Woodlands (upper class houston suburb) Dealer about once a year.....
That dealershit is bigger than some hospitals I have seen. The one in beumont is damn near as redonk-you-loss.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Y'know...It's a little wierd being a younger guy into older bikes. Here in Austin, there are a couple different shops, two harley dealers and an old place in east downtown called Buds. In either of the harley dealers, if I so much as glance at a bike the sales guys jump on me, trying to convince me to sign away a couple limbs or a child for a new bike I don't like that much anyway. On the other hand, should I go into Bud's, everybody just looks at me like I got no buisness there, couldn't possibly know anything...

I haven't had a chance to meet the Flyrite guys, I'm hoping they have another holiday party/open house this year. But I hear they're decent guys.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I needed a 530 non o-ring chain for my Triumph a couple weeks ago. So I pass a fairly new, 5 or 6 years, H-D dealer everyday and thought I stop in and see if they might have one. Two guys behind the counter, one early 30s shaved head H-D t-shirt. Secong guy early fifties long greying hair, H-D t-shirt. Ask the young one for a 530 non o-ring chain and his responce is uuhhhhh. He turns to the older guy and says his name like a question. Older guy looks at me and says he needs a year and model cause all chains are made by H-D for each model. I just turned around and walked out. I can understand that the chains are pre-cut for the different models and different sizes but we're talking about a chain!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
There was that fairly brief period between the introduction of the Evo and the point where every asshole began clamoring for a new Harley. I was pretty young and ignorant at that time, and would visit my local H-D dealer (it's long gone now). The shop was still a bit scruffy and sketchy. There were used ironheads and shovels dribbling oil all over the sales floor. There were guys there with actual filth on their hands. The sales guys completely ignored me.

I go into a Harley boutique nowadays and they're all over me. Of course, the shop is nicer than most jewelry stores. Have I gained a certain look over the past 20 years - one that says "I can afford to buy this shit and have nothing else to do with my money?"

Also, cops bother me a lot less these days. I somehow don't get singled out in airport security lines either. Is this part of the maturation process? I'm just waiting gleefully for a cop to fuck with me these days, but they're all extremely polite and proper when they stop me. WTF?!?

·
Registered
65 Posts
OK, I'm kind of old(50). I've been riding all my life. What gripes my ass is the biker with 3000 miles on his first bike telling me how it was in the day. I was working on Harleys in the day and I don't remember a lot of these guys. The gold chainers have ruined a lot of cool stuff. I'm waiting for Wally Mart to start selling Harley:p

I 'm getting gas in my beemer and a group of HOG riders pull in, one of the guys close to me yells out, " My first motorcycle was a Harley"
. and I said very loudly 'Yea and your sitting on it". Then I did a big ol wheelie leaving the place.
Sorry for the rant, these guys piss me off.

·
Banned
648 Posts
I went to my local "custom" shop just down the street because I needed to get a BMX spindle welded to my kicker spindle and I don't trust my skills or my $99 booger maker. All I needed was about 3/4 of an inch worth of welding and the thing is all prepped and ready to go...

We've never been in this shop, lots of long tribal-flamed-skully bikes and stuff out front all the time, but it's next to my favorite sandwhich shop, so it seems worth the trip. The chick at the Von Dutch-packed counter had to get the dude in the back (where I assumed work happened) and then he told me "Oh, no. I can't do that. We just have like a crappy old 110 welder, and I can barely use it." I noticed on the way out all the custom bikes were really Big Dogs, Ultimas and Proper Choppers and such.

I took it to the other side of town to the usual small "service oriented" shop we go to (cool guys) and they busted it out no prob.

-Bill

·
Registered
160 Posts
**** said:
I 'm getting gas in my beemer and a group of HOG riders pull in, one of the guys close to me yells out, " My first motorcycle was a Harley". and I said very loudly 'Yea and your sitting on it". Then I did a big ol wheelie leaving the place.
That's funny... I'm never quite that clever.

I've had similar experiences with non-Harley shops. The thing is, my two "local" bike shops are both owned by the same people. One is a harley shop, the other is a Japanese multi-brand shop. One of my recent projects was a 1974 Ducati. Whenever I went in to the Japanese shop looking for a generic part, the guys there would look at my like I was a total idiot. If it wasn't in the Tucker-Rocky catalog, it didn't exist. Or if I don't know what model Suzuki/Kawasaki/whatever the part I want came off of, they have no clue.

The Harley guys? I went in for a battery and three people started discussing what would work. Hooked me up with a nice gel-cell that fit perfectly. Went in for an aluminum washer to seal a fork bolt, the parts guy took a look and spent the next 10 minutes finding which one would work the best. Not one that would work, but the one that would work the best. We're talking about an aluminum washer here, not a big profit maker.

The last time I went in the guy wanted to talk about my bike before he even knew what it was because I was buying straight weight oil. "I knew it had to be something old if you were picking that stuff up!". Which led to a conversation on older bikes and "the way things were back then" (which I realize wasn't all that long ago).

So I guess my point is... oh hell. I don't know. I guess I'm saying there are still some decent shops out there, and it isn't brand related. I won't go in to the idiotic things I've had a few Ducati dealers tell me...

·
Registered
825 Posts
Sporticus said:
Also, cops bother me a lot less these days. I somehow don't get singled out in airport security lines either. Is this part of the maturation process? I'm just waiting gleefully for a cop to fuck with me these days, but they're all extremely polite and proper when they stop me. WTF?!?
I used to get pulled over ALL the time.....and actually the only time I have been pulled over recently was when my taillight was out...and he just followed me to the station.....and asked, "Are you getting a bulb for that thing?" Yes SIR!!

Hell back in the day...(HA I had to say it) I got strip searched going into Astroworld because I looked suspicious...I was wearing my leather jacket.......

I am not kidding, they made me stand on a box and strip to my underwear....If I hadn't been meeting some people inside I would have told em to fuck off.....

·
Registered
418 Posts
"I'm just waiting gleefully for a cop to fuck with me these days, but they're all extremely polite and proper when they stop me. WTF?!?"

When i got to the end of that post, I read WTF as FTW...I guess it was the build-up.

·
Registered
617 Posts
well I wasn't "back in the day" but my "shop" pretty much consists of the Flyrite guys/gals 1300ish miles away in TX, a couple of stores that I order shit from online, or I enter the local harley dealer or multi-brand motorcycle shop with pre-researched part numbers in hand so I don't have to explain shit, then back to my garage to change parts by the only mechanic I know, me.

The local shops/dealers that are most helpful to me are Sharer Triumph and Suter's speed shop.

mitch

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
disturber said:
"I'm just waiting gleefully for a cop to fuck with me these days, but they're all extremely polite and proper when they stop me. WTF?!?"

When i got to the end of that post, I read WTF as FTW...I guess it was the build-up.
I should have mentioned that I've gained some confidence and knowledge since those days - stuff I would love to unleash on an unsuspecting and disrespectful law man.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Sporticus said:
I should have mentioned that I've gained some confidence and knowledge since those days - stuff I would love to unleash on an unsuspecting and disrespectful law man.
BE careful...remember that when you are alone it still boils down to one thing....your word against his.....facts and right have nothing to do with it.

·
TI_Tuesday
1,444 Posts
back in the 70s i remember going to a few jap and brit shops with my dad. they were mostly hole-in-the-wall places, especially the brit place. they had a x75 in the window and it was the only bike i wanted. wait, i also wanted evil's bike but i digress. my dad and the guy would talk about my dad's bsa project. the guy actually enjoyed chatting and he was like a friend helping my dad. a week or two would pass and we'd go there to pick up the parts.

today the shops in northern virgina are million dollor facilities. you could eat off the floor and they have some chromed out soft tail trash in the window beside the hd train set freshly made in china.

times change but we owe it to ourselves and our friends to chat about the memories. man, that x75 was cool.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts