Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We always have all the hardware zink or cad plated when we do and engine or bike build and it always a pain in the ass to put every nut and bolt on a wire wheel to get them clean enough for plating, my question is does anyone use a tumbler cleaner or ultrasonic or what about a rock polisher? Harbor freight has a cheap 5 lb tumbler for around $50 and $15 for ceramic media. do you think it would be worth it?

·
Registered
317 Posts
The tumbler works great, even if your only doing it once in a while. If you have alot like you said, I suggest a better one from Eastwood. Will probally last longer. I have that cheap HF one though, and it works great.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Used to have use of an agitator bucket. Was essentially a perforated steel basket suspended in a 5 gallon bucket of solvent. this basket was connected to a pnuematic ram which lifted and dropped the basket about 30 strokes a minute.it had a flow control to contol the speed, of the ram. You'd leave this overnight and the nuts and bolts were 100% clean in the morning. took paint, grease, loctite remants etc. completely off. I've been looking for one for years. would love to have one, it worked great!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Millions of cartridge reloaders can't be wrong.... And jewelry manufacturers, and, and...

Vibratory tumblers are amazing. It might take some experimenting with media to get the finish you want, but once you have that it's fire-&-forget it. Media include everything from graded ceramic pyramids to steel shot to walnut shells, wet or dry.

Be sure and get one for which you can buy spare tubs. You'll end up with 3 or 4, each with a different kind of goop in it.

One of my buds is a garage machinist and uses a tumbler to clean & "de-horn" fresh parts. I disremember what medium he uses, but it leaves nice square-but-not-sharp corners and edges, and a beautiful satin finish.

Doc

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Millions of cartridge reloaders can't be wrong.... And jewelry manufacturers, and, and...

Vibratory tumblers are amazing. It might take some experimenting with media to get the finish you want, but once you have that it's fire-&-forget it. Media include everything from graded ceramic pyramids to steel shot to walnut shells, wet or dry.

Be sure and get one for which you can buy spare tubs. You'll end up with 3 or 4, each with a different kind of goop in it.

One of my buds is a garage machinist and uses a tumbler to clean & "de-horn" fresh parts. I disremember what medium he uses, but it leaves nice square-but-not-sharp corners and edges, and a beautiful satin finish.
I'd like this idea, but what happens to the media when there is grease and grime on the bolts? Does it last anytime at all, or does it need to be constantly replaced? And what does it cost? The solvent bucket lasted for literally tens of thousands of nuts and bolts. And there were no other steps. Just throw them in grungy, pull them out spotless clean. And the solvent had somewhat of a preservative effect on the bare steel.

Doc[/QUOTE

Do the parts have to go in clean. IE without grunge and grease?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thats great, but most stainless is grade 2. Try finding grade 5 or grade 8 in stainless. They do make it, but its spendy.
try finding 3/8" 26tpi shouldered head bolts in stainless. there are way to many specific CEI threaded fasteners inside British engines to try and use aftermarket hardware

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do the parts have to go in clean. IE without grunge and grease?[/QUOTE]

yes the zink and cad plating will not go over grease or paint.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I just picked up the Eastwood setup.. works excellent came with 2 bowls and 2 types of media 1 for polishing the other rust removal.. i added their liquid kit also.

·
Registered
165 Posts

Doc
I'd like this idea, but what happens to the media when there is grease and grime on the bolts? Does it last anytime at all, or does it need to be constantly replaced? And what does it cost? The solvent bucket lasted for literally tens of thousands of nuts and bolts. And there were no other steps. Just throw them in grungy, pull them out spotless clean. And the solvent had somewhat of a preservative effect on the bare steel.

Do the parts have to go in clean. IE without grunge and grease?
A 5-gallon bucket of Chem-Tool non-California B-9 is your friend... :D

(Berryman's p/n is 0905)

If you can find a tumbler with solvent-resistant tubs, that would be the ticket. Just toss the hardware in with your solvent and run it.

Otherwise it'll depend on the medium - something like walnut shell will take the crap off, but the shell won't last as many runs. I'll ask my machinist friend what he uses. I'm pretty sure he throws parts in covered with coolant & cutting oil.

By the way, it's easy as pie to build a bucket shaker. Think a long board on a hinge and a ~200rpm drill motor with a 1x1 square stick on the shaft under the end of the board. Fix your bucket to the loose end the board and turn it on... Just don't wear your favorite T-shirt when you're testing it.

Doc

·
Registered
837 Posts
i've got a cheapo HF vibratory tumbler... it's been used/abused for a couple years of home shop use, still as good as new. i recently used crushed pistachio shell with a cup of simple green thrown in... worked a treat on some crusty greasy hardware. came out clean. switched to the ceramic stuff, came out shiny and pretty.

the pistachio isn't something i'd usually buy... or even know if it's any better than walnut shell... i just got a bag of it from a nut distributor i deal with because it was free.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey Tony. I dont get much done but just had all the hardware for my 55 t110 cad plated. It was real dirty. I just soaked the nuts bolts in break clean for an hour and brushed around the parts in the bucket. The plating co. up here in Pittsburgh said they run the parts through their cleaning cycle first. In no way were they as clean as if I wire wheeled them before sending out but they must have a chem clean process cause they came back nice.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i've got a cheapo HF vibratory tumbler... it's been used/abused for a couple years of home shop use, still as good as new. i recently used crushed pistachio shell with a cup of simple green thrown in... worked a treat on some crusty greasy hardware. came out clean. switched to the ceramic stuff, came out shiny and pretty.

the pistachio isn't something i'd usually buy... or even know if it's any better than walnut shell... i just got a bag of it from a nut distributor i deal with because it was free.
Thanks everyone,
I like the idea of mixing the media with simple green, I'll go down and get one of the "China Freight" vibrators this week, but they offer ceramic pellets or walnut shells as well as glass and alum. oxide.
any recommendations of the media?
wouldn't simple green dissolve walnut shells?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.