Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Look what you guys made me do, all for the better of course. This is my first Sportster project and Im dign it. Im nowhere near a fabricator or metal smith like a lot of you guys here so I wont be getting into too many one-off things, just making it my own. Thats not my shop in the first photo, thats before I brought it home at the PO place. Plan on leaving it a swing arm bike too.

I hadnt planned on tearing it down but we all know how one thing leads to another. The plan was to just clean it up and ride it. So I started by removing all the knick-knack crap and saddle bags, then bars, then front fender...

I really didnt like the big sport bob tank so I went to sell that, a guy offered to buy all the yellow tins. Hey, so why not.

Found a really nice FX tank locally and I really like how low and flat it is, still might go for a peanut tank but Im dign this for now. I also removed the 14" shocks on the back and replaced them with a set of 12" billet Fox Harley shocks. I think they go great with the mud slinger rims. The lower the better for me. Along with my sons Schwinn Stingray seat that wont stay but I thought it looked cool. I want to keep it clean with some aluminum/brushed parts and accents. Not too shiny.

I was out looking at the bike yesterday trying to figure out how I wanted to mount the back fender and I couldnt get over all the wiring. Especially all the wiring I wouldnt be using. So after looking at a few "basic Sportster wiring diagrams" I decided to pull it all out. I know "0" about wiring but after reading a few posts here, I thought Id give it a try.

Well, as of now, heres how the bike is sitting. Ah, yes, now thats better.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Love that tank...i like what youre doing there. For soem reason I just dont like yellow on cars or motorcycles...

·
Registered
457 Posts
ditto on the tank love!!! if you get rid of it, you are frikkin nuts. the way that bike sits right now, throw a nice rear fender setup on it, wire it, and it's DONE.

crap you're makin' me want an IH too, now.

-dan

·
Registered
56 Posts
Diggin' it! About to start an IH myself... The tank is SWEET! KEEP IT! It looks right on there. Nice change. Subscribed

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Slow going here, but a little progress. Shaved down the forks roughly still need to be smoothed out and cleaned up. Put the Maund covers on to see how they fit and looked. Still need to take them back off to lower the front end about 1.5 or 2 inches.

Back fender is next. Bought a aluminum short fender from Metal 7 and I am going to mount it using a old aluminum front fender brace off of 1971 Penton dirt bike.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Don't lose those fork covers, they look great on there. I really like the way you're headed.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Dang I like the geometry of those IH's....love that clean drivers side spindle of the rear wheel too. Great job.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Well, it looked good, except for the yellow paint, in the first photo. I am into the stock look, more than the custom look, so my ideas will be a little different than most everybody elses. I would have put a original set of tins on it, changed a few small things to make it "yours", and rode it until it was worn out. If you decide to sell of those wheels, for more custom looks, let me know.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks guys! Im dig'n the covers. Cant wait to see how it sits once I get the front down.

I love those rims, that was the main reason I bought this particular Ironhead, had to have those wheels.

*By the way, Im looking for a set of pipes, the old style with the nice smooth bends, XLR, K style.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well Im getting the rear fender in place. Its loosely bolted on to get a idea of how much space Im going to need to run the swing arm. Not sure Im happy with the gap but dang it, thats about how much room Im gonna have to have running shocks.

I placed the exhaust on and a aluminum number plate I have laying around. Some old style tires would really change the look.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Glad to see you're leaving the rear suspension. Thing looks killer. I dig the tank and the rear fender especially.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, heres a little update. Kind of like 2 steps forward one step back.

Once I had it mocked up pretty well, I changed my mind and am going to have a weld on hard tail done up. I stripped it down to the frame and took it to 138 Cycle Fabrication in Lebanon Ohio. Cole, the guy that runs the shop has a great eye and some even better skills. He's also going to narrow the FX tank seen in the photos, do a custom oil tank, and a few more things. I can't wait to see it. The couple bikes below are a few of 138's. Ironhead and a Norton.

138s Bikes

·
Registered
947 Posts
you've nailed it already. No need to do anything else. I think you have a better eye then the Cole you mention!
If you insist on getting a hardtail, then get a KR bolt on tail section,
love the pipes and alloy rear fender + stay you thought up

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Progress. Maybe Ill be riding this summer. Frame is back along with some other bits. Powder coated.

Narrowed FX tank. Now its about 2.5 inches on the skinny.

·
Registered
447 Posts
That's looking awsome! I just read through the thread having missed it before, and I have to admit, when you mentioned you decicion to hardtail it I let out a loud "NO"! It looked cool as hell before, but I do like it even better now!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts