Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering how many ruined a perfectly good norton by chopping it up,,heh. I have a 68 commando.. trying to figure out what the hell im gonna do with it.

·
Registered
944 Posts
Not too many.

The isolastics on the Commando frame make it tough to chop without a new frame.
A solidly mounted Norton engine will shake your fillings out, ask any Atlas owner.

Commando is set up much like a HD® FXR (Looks like HD® took a long look before designing it) and as such is a great bike as it, lening itself to cafe customizine or just a tart up.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Englishman said:
Not too many.

The isolastics on the Commando frame make it tough to chop without a new frame.
A solidly mounted Norton engine will shake your fillings out, ask any Atlas owner.

Commando is set up much like a HD® FXR (Looks like HD® took a long look before designing it) and as such is a great bike as it, lening itself to cafe customizine or just a tart up.
not lookin to sell it are you??

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im pretty big on the cafe thing,, that was my original plans and probably what i will stick too, just wondering if anyone did it.. Either way ill be looking for a frame as somone raked this one about 25 years ago and didnt do a very good job of it...

wes

·
Registered
675 Posts
I had a 1970 750 commando, man I loved that thing. I love choppers but I gotta say Nortons are cool without choppin' it. Cafe the hell out of it and you'll be happy! Oh and ditch the Lucas electrical harness he's know as the prince of darkness! lol!

destroywes said:
just wondering how many ruined a perfectly good norton by chopping it up,,heh. I have a 68 commando.. trying to figure out what the hell im gonna do with it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Does it have a high rise exhaust and fastback seat? I had a 71 roadster that i cafed. It was one of the fastest bikes ive ever owned.If you get a chance convert it to electric ingn using the boyer kit and if you want reliabilaty and ease of set up convert it to a single mikuni carb set up. You don't lose performance and you gain a little in mpg. Its also easier to start and you don't have to fool with the amals(tickiling the carb blah blah)They are sweet bikes stock but it would also make a cool chop.just my .2 cents. Gregg

·
Registered
7 Posts
I thought you might be interested in this one. It s my chopped Commando 71.
A lot of Norton guys around here really hate me for this.
This is a picture I took right before sending it to paint. I ll probably finnish the
bike in the next few weeks.

Frank

·
Registered
283 Posts
love that blower on the previous Norton.Sits nice too,Dr.Frankensickle

·
Registered
72 Posts
I second (or third) going cafe'. To me the angle of the top end looks like it's screaming forward and a fast looking frame compliments it nicely. Rigid frames, to me, look too "laid back" for such a motor. But it's your bike, I'm not going to bash what you choosd to do with it.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
This chop is/was from a JJ member...can't remember who...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm usually not big on Norton choppers. Most of them that i see just don't look right. I really like this one though.

and here's another one i found (not my dad... my dad rode a Honda)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts