Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a guy wanting to get a bike off of me from North Carolina, and I just am wondering what the laws are there concerning vintage bikes. I checked out the NC dmv site, and it is like most, lots of fine print that doesn't say too much. I did tell him that when it comes down to it, it is all on him to make sure it is legal, but I will do my best to find out what is needed. So I figured I would as the experts that have experience, so here goes.
From what I understand a vintage bike is anything 35 years old and older, is this correct?
Is there anything the bike needs, like a horn, turn signals?
As far as titling, what is needed? bill of sale? title and bill of sale?
Do the frame numbers and motor numbers need to match? (he may want a left side shift Triumph in an older frame)
Am I missing anything, secret handshake?

Thanks for any info

Dave

·
Registered
732 Posts
anything coming into N.C. will have to have a title and/or bill of sale (depending on which is correct in the originating State) and the frame and engine numbers will have to match the paperwork...and it will be inspected by DMV before any title is issued...bikes transfered within the state of N.C. are not inspected...

note: inspections are done by the license and theft division of DMV...I would have this person swing by and talk to them...no problem if everything matches...dudley

·
Registered
78 Posts
pretty much same rules in florida.
I think most states want to make a number verification
Bill of sale and/or title or registration should be the paperwork
If its a number frame title then thats all they should look at , same as if its a numbered engine title.
Check with locals, before money changes hands

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
It all depends on what city or area he'll be registering it in. I'm in a small town on the coast and the only thing they give a shit about here is a notarized title. No inspection around here for any vintage car or bike. If it's just a bill of sale, I'm sure bullshit comes with it. If it has a title it'll be a lot easier. Get everything notarized now because you'll have to do it sooner or later. Check with his area though because rules change from town to town.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys, it is very helpful.

again it only matters what AZ law is, NC doesnt matter, when u bring in a bike from out of state that is titled, the laws of the state that the bike is coming into is what matters, The bike is going FROM NC TO AZ so check the AZ DMV website or call.
I, from AZ, will be shipping the bike to NC, not the other way around. Which is why I am looking for info on NC, since I don't live there.

thanks again.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
sorry thought it was the other way around
OK I had one shipped from Minn, here's how it works, the new owner will go to the tag office and register the bike, which consists of turning in the out of state title, he will get a temp registration and tag and he can run the bike, yes if its 35 yrs or older then a DMV inspector will visit u, take pictures,will run the numbers through a national database, the engine and frame number do not have to match, if it passes (which it should) he will get a new title ( NC) in the mail and proceed from there, no bill of sale needed if the title is good
funny story, why do they do this??
well a honcho at the NC DMV got burned on a 35 Ford, he bought it as an original but it was a reproduction, so the DMV initiated this rule (yes they can do that WITHOUT legislative vote) so now all "antique" vehicles must be inspected, dont worry, they were pretty cool and it didnt take long, just make sure it is totally assembled ( dont start workin on it yet)when he gets there or he wont approve it, piece of cake :)
again sorry I misread your post
I'm assuming WNC means Wilmington? Different rules for different areas I guess. Here you drop your notarized title at the DMV, show them your insurance card, pay your registration fee, get your plate, go for a ride. You'll get your new title in the mail in about 2 weeks, no state inspection, no smog test, no visit from any DMV inspector. Done. That's the Outer Banks for ya! Must be different in the big city.

·
Banned
7,407 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
nope I'm in Boone, for vintage bikes (35 years old +) thats state law, call ur local DMV and ask em
Boone.... I lived there for a number of years back in the late 80's/early 90's - I'm just down the road in Rural Hall now. Sure do miss the mountains.....
My experience with the Rural Hall DMV was pretty much the same as kickstarts - gave em my notarized title, showed proof of insurance, and they gave a stickered plate right then and there. There was another form I also had to fill out (can't remember exactly what it was), but the lady didn't even check to see if I had filled it out correctly, even though I told her I wasn't sure I had. Got my new title in the mail a couple weeks later. This was for a '61 Trump.....

·
Registered
357 Posts
live in Charlotte NC, same as above, purchased a titled bike locally, had the title notorized went to DMV , showed notarized title, insurance, payed some fees walked out with plates, no inspection. Im trying to figure out how to go about a bike with bill of sale only in Charlotte, any info on this much appreciated.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just put a bike on the road last year and had to get a NC title. You need a noterized bill of sale from previous owner, (this is all I had), better is bill of sale and a previous regesteration. NC only uses the frame number to title and I did not have to get it inspected. They will sell you the tag so you can get on the road, then the state inspector in charge of theft and recovery will get with you and check the frame numbers, if all is well you will get a NC title mailed to you in a few weeks. As long as you have insurance you can be riding. Did not have to get title insurance or anything else, actually it was a lot less trouble than I expected. My bike is a 1970 Triumph frame with a 1973 engine, titled as a 1970, just headlight ,tail and brake light and horn. Hope this helps. My bike came from Georgia
Clyco303

·
Registered
732 Posts
I guess it boils down to the inspector and maybe the region...I had to remove the tank on my import so that they could take a picture of the frame number...a word to the wise...dudley

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
exactly, from out of state, thats what happens, wasnt to hard
yes no "safety inspection" required but yes on the vehicle and theft guy, mine had a title so it was a little duff, but that the ticket when buying an out of state vintage bike in NC, doesnt matter the part of the state or any of that other crap, the NC DMV is a bit on the anal retentive side but the 2 theft and recovery inspectors I've dealt with have been fine, I am actually calling one up tomorrow to do an inspection on an improperly titled bike, I'll double check to see if "the outer banks" is not subject to state law ??? :eek:
That's OK, I'll do it myself ;)...seriously, don't bother.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
exactly, from out of state, thats what happens, wasnt to hard
yes no "safety inspection" required but yes on the vehicle and theft guy, mine had a title so it was a little duff, but that the ticket when buying an out of state vintage bike in NC, doesnt matter the part of the state or any of that other crap, the NC DMV is a bit on the anal retentive side but the 2 theft and recovery inspectors I've dealt with have been fine, I am actually calling one up tomorrow to do an inspection on an improperly titled bike, I'll double check to see if "the outer banks" is not subject to state law ??? :eek:
Seriously?, Let sleeping dogs lay. Don't bring the Stazi down on Everybody.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
yea honesty really pisses off the cops dont it ???
Nobody is suggesting you lie. But you don't have to go around "enlightening" bureaucrats either. Seems you think you have a point to prove or an axe to grind with other posters who have had an experience other than yours. I hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
(I 'm giving the OP the FACTS, the rest is BS, others have posted THE FACTS others are talking out their ass, thats all, if someone on this board ask for info on say carb fitment, would it be not prudent to point out a response that was full of shit ??? of course it would, its done every day here (and other motorcycle forums as well) so WTF ??? u dont like DONT READ IT, the OP will find out soon enough :DUOTE]

I'm just telling exactly what happened in my case, don't know the law, just what happened to me. I'm in Hayesville which is about as far west in N Carolina as you can get.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts