Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i have a 74 ironhead electric start and rode it all summer with no issues untill three weeks ago my gen stoped charging, so i got a new drag spec one at a local shop. it lasted a week and stopped charging. put the 2nd drag spec one in and one week later it starts making a high pitched metal on metal sound and put a hole on the tip of the commentator end.
so i said fuck it try a usa made cycle electric gen and reg and i install it and rotate engine and i get that metal on metal sound??

·
Registered
655 Posts
Tell me, have all three replacement generators come with drive gears, or
have you been swapping your gear onto them?

If they have been coming with gears, are they the same tooth count as your original?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Almost sounds like you have the wires swapped on the generator, making it a electric motor, instead of a generator. But only you can tell.

·
Registered
734 Posts
In every medium sized town there is someone who repairs generator and electric motors. Find him and be his friend. They are a dying breed and worth their weight in three brush generators.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
their was one place in town and they said the cand test motorcycle gens. plus this is brand new never run. this happened to the last one ran for a week made this noise.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Find yourself an N.O.S. drive gear.
Cycle Electric gennies absolutely HATE cheap-ass gears, like those that come from V-Twin, Custom Chrome & (surprise!, surprise!) Drag Spec.

If you run the CE with that piece-of-shit drive gear that killed the other two, it'll give you a VERY expensive lesson in how not to buy & continue to use questionable parts. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Other than wiring it wrong, there's not much else other than a fucked gear that can kill a generator on an ironhead.

·
Registered
218 Posts
13 tooth gear for big twin 14 tooth gear xl.They work if switched but not for long and not ending well either.
Are you still running the oil deflector/washer.Try it without it,maybe hitting the cam cover.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
their was one place in town and they said the cand test motorcycle gens. plus this is brand new never run. this happened to the last one ran for a week made this noise.
Not that it necessarily applies in your case, but its worth noting that many years ago I had a starter motor go bad in my '66 Mustang. I went down to the local NAPA parts store and bought a replacement, installed it, and went to fire up the motor and. . . . nothing. Well, a bunch of second guessing and head scratching and double-checking ocurred until I finally ran power directly to the the starter and still nothing. I pulled the starter and went back to NAPA and told them the starter was bad. The counter guy said no way could the starter be bad, they are all bench tested blah, blah, and I must have hooked it up wrong and burned it up or something, no warranty on electrical parts etc. I made it clear I wasn't leaving without a replacement and he was going to bench test this one right in front of me. Well, believe it or not, the second one was bad as well, to the counter guys embarassment. The third one however, was the charm, and it worked fine. Sorry for the long winded discourse, this is just my way of saying there are very few things you can take for granted.

Regards,
Geo.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.