Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago I put a pair on a 583 Ski Doo Mach 1. I gained a real sled length against a known sled in A-B-A testing. He always beat me by almost 2. After the wires we stayed even for almost a full ⅛th mile and he would just pull me ½ sled in a ¼ mile race. I was 80lbs heavier than him, traded sleds, I couldn't pass him on my sled, me on his.

I saved em, going to run them on the old shovel. Has anyone else ever used those? The theory is sound and I got real gains. The better the ign system the less gain, his SX had a hotter ign and he never gained the known advantage back. Share your experiences if you have any. I think this ol dawg can use any ign help I can give it.

And yes I did a search and found nothing relevant.

·
Registered
403 Posts
IIRC the "secret" to those wires was a spark gap built into them. The spark gap forced a weaker coil to build more energy before discharging, resulting in a hotter spark at the plug. An engine tuned with a hot coil already negates the effect.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what, 6 races on the same night with a notable gain was perception vs reality. Ok, thx. Whizz, not really. They have a capacitor in the wire. Capacitors are a great current sponge when used in the right places. I had a delay box and trans brake in my racer and suffered inconsistent 60' times now and then. Someone suggested a capacitor in the feed to the delay box/2 step/MSD to "absorb" the excess current when the trans brake solenoid released. Worked like a charm and ran hundreds of rounds with very consistent 60' times. Capacitors are our friends sometimes.

·
Registered
403 Posts
So what, 6 races on the same night with a notable gain was perception vs reality. Ok, thx. Whizz, not really. They have a capacitor in the wire. Capacitors are a great current sponge when used in the right places. I had a delay box and trans brake in my racer and suffered inconsistent 60' times now and then. Someone suggested a capacitor in the feed to the delay box/2 step/MSD to "absorb" the excess current when the trans brake solenoid released. Worked like a charm and ran hundreds of rounds with very consistent 60' times. Capacitors are our friends sometimes.
Edit: I never said it didn't work, or that it was snake oil, I merely was describing the function.
Explain why it didn't make a difference when you put the wires on your buddies machine, but did when on yours. Electrically, the COIL is a capacitor, in that it stores energy over a period of time and then releases it all at once. Also, electrically, a spark gap performs the function of forcing the coil to build sufficient voltage to jump the gap, instead of just dumping whatever voltage happens to be there. There have been several "magic wires" marketed over the years using this phenomenon, including a few gizmos that installed on top of the plug with the wire hooked to them. It doesn't matter if these particular wires used a physical capacitor or a tuned spark gap to accomplish the magic, the principle is the same. If the ignition system that you are using builds sufficient voltage by itself, the gizmo will make no difference, if it doesn't the gizmo helps it to. It's the same principle as pulling your plug wire off the end of the plug a bit to increase the spark and blow off a bit of fowling when it starts missing out in the middle of no where. Hotter spark is better, after all.

Also, a capacitor to absorb a current spike caused by a tripping relay is a very different application than a plug wire. You want every bit of current spike to a plug that you can get.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He did get some improvement, just not nearly as drastic as my sled's "vintage" system did. I was an old ign module/stator gig and his was elctronic ign. I don't have any better tech specs. And I didn't think you said it didn't work. They used to have a lot more tech info on the Nology site. Somehwere I may still have the book they sent me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well written. By Magnacore yet, an ign wire manufacturer. I know what happened on an old 2 stroke twin but maybe I imagined all of it. Danny's 600 twin would walk away from me in a 1/4 mi drag race. After the wires he couldn't. Before the wires even my extra 80lbs didn't have us even when I was on his, could still pull away. After wires I couldn't beat my sled, him riding, and of course 80lbs less. The Nology wires were the only change. All in the same night, same temps, same surface, same-same everything. Care to explain? Did I keep the same performance? Yes. And that old Ski Doo fired both plugs like a stock shovelhead.

For the record I'm enjoying this convo, but I'd like to hear if anyone else ever tried something similar or those wires. And I've set up and wired and built and restored some impressive shit over the last near 5 decades. My 2nd time around the block...;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
It has to be repeatable and on different equipment.

If there was anything to it every OEM would license their stuff.
Every Harley rider would have them....

A Harley doesn't show any significant gains for improvements in the ignition department beyond a 3 ohm coil.
The last big deal in the ignition dept for a HD was being able to offset timing for the front and rear cylinders.
You can get a big gain on an Ironhead by adding a second plug....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts