Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I've a 4 speed ratchet top that's very noisy in 1st, 2nd & 3rd while cruising at low speeds, sounds like a bad whining noise. In 4th it's silent and smooth at any speed. While under full acceleration in the other gears they also seem silent, it's only while cruising in the lower gears. It's been like it for years and apart from that it sounds and works fine. Any ideas on how to fix it would be appreciated.

·
Registered
117 Posts
countershaft bearings worn, or countershaft worn, or both. in 4th gear counter gears have no load and are just spun slinging oil. once they are under load they will whine from play in bearings. has been like that for a while....i would say a repair sooner than later could be very cost effective. Mark

·
Registered
884 Posts
Yours is Not the first to experience this...They will go a Very long time indeed exhibiting those symptoms. In fact, sometimes having one setup with a too tight bushing in countershaft gearset, caused a whine also.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Counter shaft bushing too tight? that may be it. The whining has been like it since I rebuilt the box, so it couldn't be anything worn as it's had new bearings all through it. When the box is cold it's not as bad, but after a couple of miles and the box is hot it's much noisier.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i had seen the wrong countershaft case bushings installed allowing the shaft to float in the bushings. the bushings i am referring to are the two that are pressed into the case to hold the shaft, later bushings are larger diameter...i.e. late style needle bearing, early style are smaller diameter and use 44 total loose rollers. this lets the counter gear climb the mainshaft gears and will typically wear the teeth faces.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mark, I'm soon to chop my ride, +8" over springer and will going over the box again. I'll check out those bearings. James

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion revive?! Found this post searching around for answers. Ive got a similar issue on my ratchet trans. 1st 2nd and 4th are nice and quiet but 3rd is crazy loud, but only under throttle, silent if Im just cruising... is it the countershaft worn?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Discussion revive?! Found this post searching around for answers. Ive got a similar issue on my ratchet trans. 1st 2nd and 4th are nice and quiet but 3rd is crazy loud, but only under throttle, silent if Im just cruising... is it the countershaft worn?
You might have an early gear box and they have a brass bushing in the 3rd gear center - when its worn out they make all kinds of noise

andrews make an up dated gear as the cluster is different then the later trans and fitting the late gear you need a box of parts BUT the up date gear is a bolt in memory 100 bucks maybe cheaper

1 - 9 of 9 Posts