Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Re: New grips, no grip glue; what can I use?

Hairspray to put em on, compressed air to get them off. We put heaps on in the shop and VO5 hairspay has worked a treat for years.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts

clear rattle can paint.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts

+3 on hair spray or if you like the look, when I was racing I used lock wire on the outside of the grip at either end. There was no way I could afford for one to slip and this method it never did but you have the look of the wire and you may not like that.

Cheers Dan.

·
Super Moderator
4,077 Posts

Hair spray and soapy water have both done me fine, but if you need to go ridin' immediately after, an old-timer taught me a trick you can use if you have air in your shop, and you're installing soft-ish rubber grips.

He'd line the grip up, then put his blowgun on the air hose. (You know, the thing for cleaning up? Has a little rubber teat on the end of it?)

He'd put the blow gun into the little vent hole at the end of the grip, and by 'inflating' it a little, it would slip right on, and because it's dry under there, they wouldn't budge an inch once they were seated home.

Again, only works on soft rubber, but it's another way of doing things, and gets you right on the road if you are in a hurry.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've always used gumout carb cleaner or windex, whichever is handiest, both work great. Never have had to use any kind of adhesive, as long as everything's clean. But I got a little paranoid after reading this thread, so I twisted on a few I have on bikes, none will spin.....?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.