Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, just bought a 59 panhead. Turns out it was titled in the 70's in PA. So it has a PA title, 1978. Title has the 59 motor Vin number on it, but says its a 78. The motor's original Vin is all clear, and it has a PA tag on it with the new Vin number. Do you guys for see a problem in NJ? Jersey bike titling is crazy! Cars, not a problem.

I tell you what the guy told me. He bought the bike with the the 78 title, it had a funky chopper frame that he did'nt dig, so he got an original Harley Wishbone frame. Moved the motor,trans,and back rim & tire over, and bought all new stuff. Thanks for any help, Mel

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
dirtyest devil said:
Ok, just bought a 59 panhead. Turns out it was titled in the 70's in PA. So it has a PA title, 1978. Title has the 59 motor Vin number on it, but says its a 78. The motor's original Vin is all clear, and it has a PA tag on it with the new Vin number. Do you guys for see a problem in NJ? Jersey bike titling is crazy! Cars, not a problem.

I tell you what the guy told me. He bought the bike with the the 78 title, it had a funky chopper frame that he did'nt dig, so he got an original Harley Wishbone frame. Moved the motor,trans,and back rim & tire over, and bought all new stuff. Thanks for any help, Mel
good luck. have someone retitle it in PA with say...broadways title then "sell" it to you in NJ.

i hate NJ, i was at DMV today for simple shit and wanted to blow it up.

if i could get away will killing everyone in the DMV and blowing the place up unibomber style i would and with a smile.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
caffeine said:
good luck. have someone retitle it in PA with say...broadways title then "sell" it to you in NJ.

i hate NJ, i was at DMV today for simple shit and wanted to blow it up.

if i could get away will killing everyone in the DMV and blowing the place up unibomber style i would and with a smile.
AHH Hahahaha! I should just call you, we talk more here. So you think its gonna be a problem huh? The motor has a new Vin tag on it.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
dirtyest devil said:
AHH Hahahaha! I should just call you, we talk more here. So you think its gonna be a problem huh? The motor has a new Vin tag on it.
vin tag? or new numbers punched?

worse case....pick some random numbers (pre 57) and have them run, get a title from broadway, have someone title it in penn or whatever, then title it in NJ and stamp some new numbers in.

yes its technically illegal but damn your not stealing anything and screw the DMV.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
caffeine said:
vin tag? or new numbers punched?

worse case....pick some random numbers (pre 57) and have them run, get a title from broadway, have someone title it in penn or whatever, then title it in NJ and stamp some new numbers in.

yes its technically illegal but damn your not stealing anything and screw the DMV.

man, I just Really cant believe you ..

I bit my tongue REAL hard not long ago on Backtalk when folks were talkin about the ebay panhead, stock frame & 49FL title, but S&S cases ..

& then, you said - if it's a pain like NJ, just take those 49 numbers & stamp in the frame ..

I honestly CANNOT believe you live as close as you do to NY, or go to other places, like Daytona or Sturgis, where the number-nazis are THERE, Aware, know what stock numbers look like, much less what non-numbered pre-1970 frames look like; and Will Not Hesitate to put your scoot on a wrecker RIGHT then .. yet you offer up this 'advice' so much ..

and god bless Ripper for as much as he still says it, as tired as he is of trying to get the word out/point across ..

some things you shouldnt say 'do' ..

and, that stamping, just as well as grinding off existing, numbers .. takes you to the federal level ..

so,

fuckit, whatever ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ran from the law for years, now I'm straight. Its fun to be able to start shit and not be worried about the cops showing up and finding out who I am. Now my name is legit. I also only have two years left of my ten year DEATH sentence, no liscence. So I've got some time to get this paperwork together.

The motor has its original numbers starting with 59 on it. Then it also has a vin tag on it too. The "title" has both original case numbers and this new vin tag number. I have yet to get the bike, and the couple that owns it are trying their hardest to get it staightend out on their end before it's shipped.
I knew Jersey was a pain in the ass, so thats why I was asking what you all thought. Two of my old buddies stopped by today(lifers) and gave me some insight too. There also sending me a photo of the new tag, and a copy of the title. Thanks all!

·
Registered
55 Posts
dirtyest devil said:
I ran from the law for years, now I'm straight. Its fun to be able to start shit and not be worried about the cops showing up and finding out who I am. Now my name is legit. I also only have two years left of my ten year DEATH sentence, no liscence. So I've got some time to get this paperwork together.

The motor has its original numbers starting with 59 on it. Then it also has a vin tag on it too. The "title" has both original case numbers and this new vin tag number. I have yet to get the bike, and the couple that owns it are trying their hardest to get it staightend out on their end before it's shipped.
I knew Jersey was a pain in the ass, so thats why I was asking what you all thought. Two of my old buddies stopped by today(lifers) and gave me some insight too. There also sending me a photo of the new tag, and a copy of the title. Thanks all!
Well, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that title since it is a state title for a special construction. I don't know what they could possibly "get straightened out" since it's a perfectly legitimate way to title a bike. However, you may be subject to another state inspection since NJ, like NY, doesn't really trust how other states do their inspections.

I would suggest not tampering with the numbers on either the frame OR the cases. Whoever had that title done should have just used the HD numbers on the 59 engine as their VIN and put the engine in a pre-70 HD frame. Your only other option would be to get a pre-70 HD frame and then do the Broadway title thing using the VIN on the engine, I don't see the point though.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ripper, I believe your right. Don't understand why they didn't use the oiginal numbers, but like you said, some states did it differently. So I'm hoping there will be no problems. It is in an original wishbone frame, late 40's I believe. Thanks for the help Ripper!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Dragon said:

man, I just Really cant believe you ..

I bit my tongue REAL hard not long ago on Backtalk when folks were talkin about the ebay panhead, stock frame & 49FL title, but S&S cases ..

& then, you said - if it's a pain like NJ, just take those 49 numbers & stamp in the frame ..

I honestly CANNOT believe you live as close as you do to NY, or go to other places, like Daytona or Sturgis, where the number-nazis are THERE, Aware, know what stock numbers look like, much less what non-numbered pre-1970 frames look like; and Will Not Hesitate to put your scoot on a wrecker RIGHT then .. yet you offer up this 'advice' so much ..

and god bless Ripper for as much as he still says it, as tired as he is of trying to get the word out/point across ..

some things you shouldnt say 'do' ..

and, that stamping, just as well as grinding off existing, numbers .. takes you to the federal level ..

so,

fuckit, whatever ..

exactly what i say..fuck it whatever. if i buy a new S&S panhead im surely going to stamp pre-57 numbers in it and title it as such. Put me in jail.

ask ANYONE who has tried to title a custom bike in NJ.

broadway wont even issue titles to NJ anymore.

i NEVER said stamp anything into the frame...ever. ever.

what i said was take pre-57 numbers (there are no records at the MoCo i tihnk pre-57 due to the fire)

have the pre57 numbers run by local state trooper your friends with in my case they can do a multi-state search for the hot list

get a broadway title, have a friend in another state title it with the broadway title and then "sell" it to me.

then stamp the pre57 numbers on my motor..and use 50 degree punches instead of 45 like the ones on ebay.

illegal? yes. wrong. nope.

if i lived in just about any other state you wouldnt have to do this. but NJ is the WORST when it comes to custom bikes.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
also, illegal or not, its funny how bikes and cars differ...............Mel can attest to this to...what I said to do is that same thing that almost EVERYONE with a pre1940ish car does and its WIDELY "accepted" to buy a title for an old car.

kind of a double standard.

if NJ didnt make there titling/DMV laws so retarded people wouldnt have to do things like this.

i was at the DMV yesterday and failed inspection for a TORN WINSHIELD WIPER which wasnt even torn!

and funny story from a friend...but you cant have tint or a crack on your windows....but you dont have to have side windows.....friend of mine had a 55 truck with a crack in the side glass....they failed him, he went out into the parking lot, took a hammer, broke out the glass, and went through again and passed.

your in florida. you could sneeze and get a custom bike titled, and yes..i know this because most of my special construction bikes were originally florida titles because it was so easy....

even transfering a LEGITIMATE ASPT title from florida to nj takes 2 days off work, and a trip to Trenton (the ONLY place that will do it) and then its a CRAPSHOOT on how it will go.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
caffeine said:
exactly what i say..fuck it whatever. if i buy a new S&S panhead im surely going to stamp pre-57 numbers in it and title it as such. Put me in jail.

ask ANYONE who has tried to title a custom bike in NJ.

broadway wont even issue titles to NJ anymore.

i NEVER said stamp anything into the frame...ever. ever.

what i said was take pre-57 numbers (there are no records at the MoCo i tihnk pre-57 due to the fire)

have the pre57 numbers run by local state trooper your friends with in my case they can do a multi-state search for the hot list

get a broadway title, have a friend in another state title it with the broadway title and then "sell" it to me.

then stamp the pre57 numbers on my motor..and use 50 degree punches instead of 45 like the ones on ebay.

illegal? yes. wrong. nope.

if i lived in just about any other state you wouldnt have to do this. but NJ is the WORST when it comes to custom bikes.
I don't know about anywhere else, but in Texas I won't even let a bike with modified numbers in my shop let alone own a bike with funny numbers. If you think you do a good enough job to fool the theft division guys, you're probably mistaken. I personally know of half a dozen bikes that have been lost because of bad numbers over the years. Most of them the guys knew were bad, some of them they didn't. That's the best case senerio, worst is go to jail. And if you like to go to Sturgis. Daytona, or where ever, there are squads of cops that are just checking random numbers on bikes all week long. Yea, you might get by with them forever without being checked, in that case you don't even need numbers on the bike but I'm not gonna take the chance on losing a bike over something I know isn't right.
My $.00002 worth, off for coffee.
Larry T

·
Registered
2,888 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
im not going to beat a dead horse but i never said it wasnt illegal, but i didnt say it was wrong either, but when you have no other option....thats what ya gotta do.

how about this, all you guys with knuckleheads that dont have a title, ill be HAPPY to take them off your hands. there worthless to you.

in NJ even if you HAVE LEGIT NUMBERS BUT NO TITLE its IMPOSSIBLE to get it titled without broadway title AND jumping through a few hoops like having it done in FL or PA first.

P.S. Im building a 66 triumph with Matching CLEAR LEGIT numbers on both FRAME AND MOTOR. 250$ bucks to ANYONE who can get it titled in NJ without going out of state to transfer titles, etc. or doing anything illegal. hell id probably be willing to double it if i had the cash in hand to back it up

my plan. broadway title to another buddy in another state have him title it then transfer it to NJ and PRAY.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
caffeine said:
im not going to beat a dead horse but i never said it wasnt illegal, but i didnt say it was wrong either, but when you have no other option....thats what ya gotta do.

how about this, all you guys with knuckleheads that dont have a title, ill be HAPPY to take them off your hands. there worthless to you.

in NJ even if you HAVE LEGIT NUMBERS BUT NO TITLE its IMPOSSIBLE to get it titled without broadway title AND jumping through a few hoops like having it done in FL or PA first.

P.S. Im building a 66 triumph with Matching CLEAR LEGIT numbers on both FRAME AND MOTOR. 250$ bucks to ANYONE who can get it titled in NJ without going out of state to transfer titles, etc. or doing anything illegal. hell id probably be willing to double it if i had the cash in hand to back it up

my plan. broadway title to another buddy in another state have him title it then transfer it to NJ and PRAY.
Caffeine,
I'm not trying to get in a pissing match, just saying I wouldn't change the numbers on an engine or frame.

As far as the knucklehead deal goes, if you have an engine with good numbers on it, I would do whatever it took to get a title to match the numbers. Your idea about getting an out of state friend to get a Broadway title and then transfer it to you works for me. My 51 Pan was titled as a 1947 with an engine change when I got it and I took the time and trouble to title it as a 51 model. There are legal ways to do it. If I bought the 59 with the 78 title above, I'd probably try to straighten the title out to show as a 59 model.

You don't have anything like Mechanics Liens and such in NJ?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all! Today I got a picture of the tag, and a photo of the title from South Carolina. It was PA. where the initial titling was done. It has a title, need to still check it out further.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Larry T said:
Caffeine,
I'm not trying to get in a pissing match, just saying I wouldn't change the numbers on an engine or frame.

As far as the knucklehead deal goes, if you have an engine with good numbers on it, I would do whatever it took to get a title to match the numbers. Your idea about getting an out of state friend to get a Broadway title and then transfer it to you works for me. My 51 Pan was titled as a 1947 with an engine change when I got it and I took the time and trouble to title it as a 51 model. There are legal ways to do it. If I bought the 59 with the 78 title above, I'd probably try to straighten the title out to show as a 59 model.

You don't have anything like Mechanics Liens and such in NJ?
they gave me a 2 day hard time in NJ because when i bought my van from a guy in texas it said "Bonded Title" on the title.

NJ dmv quote "don't know what that means but i can't give you a title"

i said "well call texas" she said "i cant"

after a day waiting for trenton NJ to call me back...i requested my paperwork back (which was a bitch) and went to another DMV loction and was in and out in 10 minutes....while exiting the DMV trenton called and said "sorry we cannot issue a title without you filling out a whole packet we send out and a formal inspection needs to be done etc."

i hung up, looked down at my NJ title and laughed. the NJ dmv is the worst...really trust me.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
If anyone isn't from NJ and reading this shit, believe Caffeine! The same thing happend to me with titling my 30 roadster, one place wouldn't take it, the other place would. They all make up there own rules depending on their mood. I titled my hot rod as an antique, every other hot rodder laughs and asks how did I do it, had 4 girls at the counter that day, flirted with everyone of their ugly asses. The last time I had trouble, some limping dude was pissed I was so pretty, hahahaha. Joking!
Anyway, just talked to my friend that owns a salvage bike yard. He's sez its a recon, which we all know it is, and to insure it its a bitch in NJ. More money, cause is not an antique!

·
Registered
326 Posts
I got a good one... (btw, I'm in the same boat as Caffine)

I had a hard time getting my 65 Riv titled in NJ with a NY transferrable reggie, even though the NY title was in my name! The people on the phone know nothing! I was told I had to go to the DMV, get the paperwork, fill it out, send it to trenton, then in a few weeks I'd get a call that it was okay to go back to the local branch, stand in line and get my plates. I figured, okay, let's at least get the ball rolling. They told me (after several calls) that the late night for my local branch was Wed.. I left work early to get there, but as I pulled up, all the fuckin' lights were off and the lot was empty. I got so pissed. On my way home, I was listening to 101.5, and on the radio was the Comissioner of the DMV taking phone calls... so I called and got on! I told her my story and she confessed that their information system was a couple of people sitting at the phone with a 3 ring binder of information that they look in every time someone calls to ask a question. That's why you get 5 different answers to each thing you ask. Anyway, she apologized and said that were working on the system.

The next day I get a call from the Comissioners press secretary asking if my question was answered. I said, well, I still don't have plates. She invited me down to trenton, sat me in a room with a cup of coffee, took all my paperwork, went in the back and came out 10 minutes later with my plates. For once in my life, I felt vindicated and it only cost me a day of work.

I still got that bitch's number too... Hmmmm.

-B

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Hey folks,
FWIW, I think the system in NJ is pretty much like any other DMV, maybe a little more screwed up. Let's see, two out of three of the lasts posts has "I got my title within 10 minutes" in it. Looks like if you know or can find out how to work the system, you can get things done.
I've got the same thing here in Texas. I suspect there are ways of getting a title or straightening out a title easily IF the DMV folks want to help. If I want my title "right now" I've got to go to the regional office and hassle with folks who don't give a rats ass if I get anything done or not. They don't care and aren't gonna do anything extra to help me out. If I go to the local office,who I've been dealing with for 30+ years and who know who I am, they'll tell me what I need to do and do what they can to make things happen. I have always been polite, sincerely thanked them for helping me, and they remember that the next time I come in. It takes 45 days for the title to come back, but that's a small price to pay for the least hassle possible.
Working with the local office has gotten titles for "off road/race" bikes/cars that weren't titled to start with, titles straightened out, and titles that had been screwed up in transfer straightened out.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts