Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was fillin' up this morning and remembered that in new jersy yer not allowed to pump yer own gas(state law). i'm rarely there, but it freaks me out every time. it dawned on me today that i would not want some pump monkey fillin' my bike.
are there other states or townsthat do this?
do you guys hate this or just accept it?
is it no big deal and i'm just thinkin' about it too much?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
in NJ its "understood" that if you ride a motorcycle the monky will not even think about filling your bike....and its understood you can do it yourself.

only time i had a problem was when i was a little kid, on the back of my dads bike..we stopped for gas. and the guy tried to grab the pump out of his hand and i think my father pulled a lighter out and said, i think your going to let me pump my own gas.

other than that i have never had a problem, its really just "understood" ...they may have to help with a code or pressing some buttons but thats it.

the biggest pain in the ass in NJ is those silly things they put on the pump nozzels for fumes or whatever...sometmes some pumps wont even work in my old van.

-Rob

·
Registered
981 Posts
beatcad said:
i was fillin' up this morning and remembered that in new jersy yer not allowed to pump yer own gas(state law). i'm rarely there, but it freaks me out every time. it dawned on me today that i would not want some pump monkey fillin' my bike.
are there other states or townsthat do this?
do you guys hate this or just accept it?
is it no big deal and i'm just thinkin' about it too much?
well here in NJ, the "pump monkey" :D usually hands the pump to me. i've never had it where they pumped gas into my bike. even when we go fill up our T bucket, they hand to the pump over. its a law that probably isnt heavily enforced, at least in my part of NJ.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Capt. Cal said:
well here in NJ, the "pump monkey" :D usually hands the pump to me. i've never had it where they pumped gas into my bike. even when we go fill up our T bucket, they hand to the pump over. its a law that probably isnt heavily enforced, at least in my part of NJ.
yep same with my van, and everything else, its pretty much just understood, so its not really an issue.

im pretty sure the monkeys know that the risk of scratching a motorcycle/hot rod is far worse than the risk of breaking the law haha.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool. thanks guys. i didnt know that. i've never stopped for gas there in anything other than my daily driver and when i hop out(out of habit) to get gas it's just odd for someone to tell me to stop- i aint allowed to do that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Oregon has the same law. Was visiting there, and didn't know. This guy comes running at me as if I'm on fire, and asks what I think I'm doing. Proceeds to take over as if he can pump gas better than I can. I took the opportunity to have a smoke, and people were appalled I was smoking. So I grabbed my shotgun, killed a snowy owl, and chopped down 3 redwood trees. I felt better, but am not allowed in Oregon ever again.

I wonder how much it adds to the price of gas, to pay that guy to pump it?

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
haha - f'n snowy owls.

i always go to the same sunoco near my place because they have 'good' pumps. you dont need a key card and the nozzles dont have those stupid condoms you have to pull back.

i ride up, pump & if the dude isnt there by the time im done i ride over to him & hand him the bills. my gas stops are like pit stops in a le mans race. im still trying to break the 1 minute mark but i cant get the gas to come out fast enough.

they're cool with me because my daily is a guzzler - 65 chrysler newport with a 25 gallon tank & i fill that up there all the time ($cha-ching$).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.