Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my old flattrack pre-unit. If thing go well I plan to start a full restoration this winter back to where it was when I got it in '69.
This is very close to the configuration it was in then. When I got it, it had a glass trackmaster tank on it that isn't going to work with ethonol/gas, but otherwise, this was it.
My question is, I'm toying with powder coating the frame and swing arm one of the faux nickle colors, like an aftermarket frame would have looked. But then the traditionalist in me says the frame should be black.
Opinions?
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/frankinstien015.jpg/]
[/URL]

·
Registered
70 Posts
My advice, don't waffle, or be in a hurry. As a designer you should just know what looks right. There's nothing wrong with asking opinions, but there's nothing worse than making a choice based on someone's idea then regretting it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
What you really should do is send it up to me, I know what I'd do with it.... ride the wheels off just like it is! Seriously I understand you want to refresh it so you really should have a high quality nickel plate job in my opinion.
tombat

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I say nickel, because it's sure to draw a crowd, but you're not going to achieve that appearance with power coating. What COULD do it though, is "spray chrome" by Alsa corp. You will think the first half of this video is just a guy spraying water on a white fiberglas fairing. Watch the whole thing.

I don't know what it would cost you to have a frame done in this process, but if it's not under $500, I would just bite the bullet and get the frame nickel plated. Someone on here a few days back said they "had a guy" who did frames in nickel for $900. If so, that is a DEAL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.