Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Despite my tranny problems on my Triumph, I just had to get out today. Put in a fresh battery, dusted her off and took a little ride up the road to the convenience store.

Opened her up a little just to hear the vertical twin through the straight pipes sing. Going through the gears fine. Maybe a little stiff I'm thinking. Shes good and warmed up now. First gear doesn't seem to want to be found without grinding. Glad there aren't too many stops along the way. Its only a five mile trip anyway.

Rumbling along a 60 is a welcome feeling. all my stress is long gone now. Its a perfect day for a ride. Motor sounds great. I give the wave to passing bikes. I don't care what make they are. I'm sure they wonder what mine is.

Pull into the parking lot real slow. Let the motor talk. I'm getting some strange stares. I pull into a striped off "between" spot. Haven't gotten around to a kick stand so I carry a small section of wood that was left over when I built my front porch. It works fine as long as nobody touches the bike. Built in safety feature.

Get whatever fits in my pockets and pay for them. Outside some new Harleys pull in to gas up. They don't notice the Triumph until I fire it on the first kick. Then, like Pavlov's dog they instinctively look in my direction. They think I'm one of them. A rub. A pre-packaged, shrink wrapped rebel without a clue. Wrong. I goose her coming through the lot. Never really looked back to see a reaction. I know mine's an original. Its not going to get lost in a parking lot. Its at that moment I'm glad I don't have a Harley 883.

I pull out onto the road and go through the gears slowly. winding out each one. Shifting by sound because there is no tach. No speedo. No gas gauge. Just a feeling. 70 or 80 MPH is obvious on this bike.

I decide to take a longer way home after the rear brake fails to slow me fast enough for my regular turn. I pass by an old friend working on his house and give him some of the twin pipe music. Wide open now, I see the cop getting ready to pull out. The same local that was checking out how illegal my bike was the day before while I was gassing up. Yet, at the same time, admiring all the work I put into the bike. He passed me yesterday. Today may be a different story. At 80 mph I can't really tell.

So, its time to hit that back brake after the hill, downshifting fast and finding that first gear. Hard right into the funeral home, through the back lot, and through a back yard. Just in case. That springer front end is getting a work out. Hard tail is bucking me like a mule. Out through the fire house lot and onto my street. Hard left into my driveway and straight into the garage.
Dust flying everywhere. My heart is pumping like mad...

Yeah, it was a nice ride today.

Spike

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ya know, your a pretty damn good writer..never would have known..:D:D

Really though, good read Spike.
Your bike looks sweet, and it's just gotta be a blast!

I can't wait til next summer......once i bring mine back to life.........i'll be posting stuff like that, only i can't write so you'll have to pretend i make sence.

Tony

·
Registered
504 Posts
awesome read.

i love your bike also.

so you take that bad ass bike to 80 miles an hour with just one drum brake?

you are bad ass!!

·
Registered
374 Posts
snortonnorton said:
awesome read.

i love your bike also.

you are bad ass!!
When you have a skull for a front spool(look closely) there is no room for a brake.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Brakes are sometimes truly over rated.LOL

If ya got a clutch grab 2 gears and she'll slow down for ya.:D

Nice story didn't get to ride much myself this weekend ,but gonna get my fill next weekend gonna ride 4 hours one way on a kinda end of summer trip.
Shoe
snortonnorton said:
awesome read.

i love your bike also.

you are bad ass!!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I can only write about what I know and love, and bikes are what I love. Wish I KNEW more about them! But I'm learning...

Spike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts