Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
404 Posts
i have an 04 bonnie black 790cc (for sale, BTW). i find the bike to be a little small for me at 6'2", 220 some odd pounds. with a lot of modifications, it can be a really great bike. a french outfit called mecatwin does some of the best total re-workings of the new bonnies and thruxtons.

you get a lot of "i had one of those when i was younger", and a lot of "what year is that?" followed by a puzzled look when you tell them "04".

triumph did a generally good job with these, and the new scrambler is being well received by a generation of steve mcqueen worshipping magazine reviewers. overall i think that they are fun to ride, but if you want strong highway performance from them they need upgrading.

some of the typical mods that i did:

remove air intake piece of shit assembly that blues pipe headers instantly (against EPA rules but most dealers do this for you before it even leaves the dealership)

remove huge plastic air box and replace with k&n style cone filters directly mounted on CV carbs, add carb support brace

replace crappy phillips head screws on carbs that strip effortlessly w/stainless allen bolt kit, for servicing of carbs (done often in the early months of tuning and re-jetting)

replace even crappier stock hose clamps on carb rubber joints that allow air leaks w/stainless ones that tighten properly

replace stock mufflers that are so full of baffles and stuffing that they literally sound like a sewing machine (ask bluebird). in my case, w/staintune open peashooters

once all of the above are done and the air is flowin' fast, it's a voodoo formula of finding the right combo of air/fuel mixture, jetting & needle choice + shims on the keihin cv carbs. it's not like the super E carb where everyone agrees 1.5 turns out, there are a hundred people w/100 set-ups that they all swear by, etc. you just have to find what works for you. but all agree that the stock set-up generally needs to be increased to a bigger idle and main jets. then you gotta balance the two CV carbs...

the countershaft sprocket needs replacing too. a 19 tooth makes a world of difference vs. the stock 17T. i think the T100 and thruxton ship with an 18T.

most also opt for replacing the fork springs w/progressive and the rear shocks eventually due to mushy feel

most also replace stock handlebars, mirrors and lights/blinkers

....so it can get costly....

finally, it doesn't ship with a kickstart, and it's not possible or no-one has figured out how to add an aftermarket add-on, a big oversight in my opinion by triumph

· Registered
404 Posts
JEB said:

Boa, do you remember the name of that Japanese shop?

I picked up a wrecked 2002 Bonneville America from TBone16, and I just bought this roller (thanks Doug). time to go to work.
Had to dig through some old e-mails, but found the shop...

Cafe parts:

http://delight-suzuka.co.jp/truxtoncaferacer.html
http://delight-suzuka.co.jp/

Yes, wow, look, they don't speak English very well, isn't that fucking funny....knee-slapping funny.

Not sure if these parts will mate well to a BA frame which I think has different geometry and mounting points than the Bonnie and Thruxton, but sounds like you're going to put the motor into a new roller anyway.

· Registered
404 Posts
JEB said:
Thanks Boa. $1300!!! Holy fuck! That's a nice tank, raw or polished.
yeah, that's a lot of $$$ for that thing. but i've never seen a good alloy/aluminum monza/triton/norvil/manx tank like that for UNDER $1000 anywhere. the welds on the one above are a little rough, but i guess it has the advantage of being sized properly w/mounting points in the right places for the bonnie/thruxton. you'd probably be better off buying a tank from british only or similar and figuring out a way to mount it. the tank that mecatwin in france builds for these bikes is gorgeous, but they don't sell it separately.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.