Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one had any experience with the new trumpet bonnies from "our" point of view?

The MS' was looking at a Sporty but sudenly taken a shining to the New Bonnies, Being from what I've heard Reliable and comfortable and fairly cheap could be a plan, but any REAL experiences would be great, also any one tried modifying one (even mildly?)

I know there not the same as the old ones and all that..., just looking for a good little runner for her, and looking for real experiences, knowledge...

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Moonshiners said:
Any one had any experience with the new trumpet bonnies from "our" point of view?

The MS' was looking at a Sporty but sudenly taken a shining to the New Bonnies, Being from what I've heard Reliable and comfortable and fairly cheap could be a plan, but any REAL experiences would be great, also any one tried modifying one (even mildly?)

I know there not the same as the old ones and all that..., just looking for a good little runner for her, and looking for real experiences, knowledge...
I probaly work with those more then any body else on this forum . They are great bikes but they do lack power . Once you get the power you will notice it needs better susp. and tires . I'de buy one over a sporty anyday though . As for customizing - mild is fairly easy and most poeple start decking them out right away . For major chopping you need some good fabrication skills . They are a great little bike that Triumph will keep in the line up for years to come .

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks trump, pretty much exactly what i wanted to know, think it would be quite ideal with a bit of Kustom treatment... figured one of you guys would have a good idea about them.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I have an '02 America with 17k on it. Beautiful bike, zero reliability problems. You might want to check over at BonnevilleAmerica.com for photos of customized bikes. (only one hardtail, the one in the Horse) A number of swing-arm bobbers are in there. Of course, not much off-the shelf stuff available, but if you are here - you can probably make your own.

Performance wise, you have to rejet the carbs, swap pipes and modify the airbox, but if you do the fun factor goes up considerably. I can run heads up with a stock 1200 Sporty and a most of the Big Twins in this area.

Trumpnut was right, once you start modifying, the other areas need attention. I put Progressive Suspension stuff on my bike last year and new Metzlers, but improvement.

Triumph dealers, unlike the Motor Company will let you take a test ride. The standard Bonnie is a little lighter than a Sporty and I'd bet handles a lot better.

Unfortunately, a lot of the dealers don't seem to be real swift, so be prepared to do your own stuff. My bike has never been back to the dealer and I plan to keep it that way.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Moonshiners said:

They are good bikes to start playing with. I've got free flow exhausts, reworked carbs and airbox, uprated suspenion front and rear, uprated front brake, black powder coated alloy rims (larger width rear), flatrack bars, bobbed rear fender, smaller indicators, alloy sprockets etc. Then they are a real fun bike. Attached a picture hope it works?

Frenchie

Attachments

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
the new ones are AWESOME, i rode one, and was inches away from pickin one up... just need pipes, rejet, maybe different sprocket.. most dealers are real cool about aftermarket stuff too, mine just told me to take it off before coming in for service and everything will still remain under warranty..

for $8000 or so cant beat it for a new bike..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Moonshiners said:

They have alot of aftermarket parts here...

www.newbonneville.com

·
Registered
118 Posts
there was a pretty decent review of the difference between the new ones and the old ones in The Classic Motorcycle a few issues back. basically talked about the lack of the power, but overall, very enjoyable. seems like they would be the ones to scrutinize the most.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
this could be interesting for re-making a cafe - just posted on Horse swap -

triumph thruxton cafe racer parting out

parting out 2004 triumph factory cafe racer, everything from clipons to tailight. beautiful red and checkerboard sheetmetal, not a scratch on it. motor is now in chopper, all else is available. 704 957 8644

his email in post : http://www.network54.com/Forum/47852/message/1157383452/triumph+thruxton+cafe+racer+parting+out

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
436 Posts
i have an 04 bonnie black 790cc (for sale, BTW). i find the bike to be a little small for me at 6'2", 220 some odd pounds. with a lot of modifications, it can be a really great bike. a french outfit called mecatwin does some of the best total re-workings of the new bonnies and thruxtons.

you get a lot of "i had one of those when i was younger", and a lot of "what year is that?" followed by a puzzled look when you tell them "04".

triumph did a generally good job with these, and the new scrambler is being well received by a generation of steve mcqueen worshipping magazine reviewers. overall i think that they are fun to ride, but if you want strong highway performance from them they need upgrading.

some of the typical mods that i did:

remove air intake piece of shit assembly that blues pipe headers instantly (against EPA rules but most dealers do this for you before it even leaves the dealership)

remove huge plastic air box and replace with k&n style cone filters directly mounted on CV carbs, add carb support brace

replace crappy phillips head screws on carbs that strip effortlessly w/stainless allen bolt kit, for servicing of carbs (done often in the early months of tuning and re-jetting)

replace even crappier stock hose clamps on carb rubber joints that allow air leaks w/stainless ones that tighten properly

replace stock mufflers that are so full of baffles and stuffing that they literally sound like a sewing machine (ask bluebird). in my case, w/staintune open peashooters

once all of the above are done and the air is flowin' fast, it's a voodoo formula of finding the right combo of air/fuel mixture, jetting & needle choice + shims on the keihin cv carbs. it's not like the super E carb where everyone agrees 1.5 turns out, there are a hundred people w/100 set-ups that they all swear by, etc. you just have to find what works for you. but all agree that the stock set-up generally needs to be increased to a bigger idle and main jets. then you gotta balance the two CV carbs...

the countershaft sprocket needs replacing too. a 19 tooth makes a world of difference vs. the stock 17T. i think the T100 and thruxton ship with an 18T.

most also opt for replacing the fork springs w/progressive and the rear shocks eventually due to mushy feel

most also replace stock handlebars, mirrors and lights/blinkers

....so it can get costly....

finally, it doesn't ship with a kickstart, and it's not possible or no-one has figured out how to add an aftermarket add-on, a big oversight in my opinion by triumph

1 - 20 of 40 Posts