Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up this bike for pretty cheap. Its a 79 frame appears to be extended fork tubes, and a 67 motor... I have been kinda wanting something alittle more spacious than my current 4" stretch hardtail. I have something pictured in my mind like this http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77172 Now I do have a title with the bike, should I sell the parts and or roller off and get an already abused frame or just cut this frame up and build it the way I want? I kinda hate the idea of cutting up a perfectly good frame. I havent had a chance to get into this, but it appears the lower frame engine mounts are much wider than the cases(mounting bolt and any hardware is missing) Also there are some spacers in the front motor mount as well. Were these OIF frame wider? Thanks any input appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
942 Posts
If you want to build a long bike, sell that frame. Especially because it's an OIF. & buy a rigid frame setup with your desired rake etc.

A lot less work/headaches. The Factory Metal Works is good for custom Triumph frames.

Also, in my opinion, any more than 2" stretch at the rear of a stock Triumph frame looks out of whack. A custom frame keeps it all in proportion.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Seems that aside from the engine, it is a T140D Bonneville Special. I'm sure you could find a buyer who would get you the funds you need for a good custom frame or stock 1970 or earlier unit 650 frame and you get the hardtail you want. :cool:

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Not really much more to add except to say I agree with most of these comments..get the whole frame rather than just a hardtail (not that there aren't some fine examples of hardtailed frames on this forum), it really does give the heart of the bike a nice 'balanced' look. It might cost a bit more, but you'll be a lot happier with the end result.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is titled as a 79 matching the frame.... i am actually talking building my own frame out of basically the neck (saving the numbers ) i think i am just going to sell the roller and find an earlier frame and build off of that. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I do have to add that I have always though of hard tailed OIF bikes as being "not so pretty", but lately have seen a couple on here that actaully did look good. There is a thread on here of strictly OIF chops, look it up and see if anything grabs ya. My money would still go with a custom frame though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.