Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
884 Posts
51rat said:
tried to talk my old man into one, he got an america instead, couldnt even talk him into a bonni... ARGH!!!! he will stop ridin in a couple years and i will inherit an america!!??!?!?!?! not as cool, LOL
At least it'll make it easier to chop apart, rebuild, and feel no pangs of regret. :)

· Registered
884 Posts
Chopper Chaz said:
I do not know what book you are reading but best hit the books...I know for a fact Thruxton was released in the late 50's here's a link of a 62' I don't have time to prove a point to you but I am most assured that Velo was way before Triumph as far as the Thruxton name was...Cheers..
http://www.vintagebike.co.uk/Bike%20Directories/Velocette%20Bikes/pages/Velocette-Thruxton-62.htm
The fact of the matter is the name came from a style race bike, named after the airfield where the bikes would race. Velo never really took the name on as an "official" model name, but factory appeared in 1965. Triumph used the name in 1964. They were both popular brands to race there, and it still never really came to signify an actual model, but more a race packaged model. So the fact is both really have a rightful claim to the name. ONLY, I seem to think only one still exists. :)

I challenge you to tell a serious Brit collector that his '64 Thruxton outfitted Triumpyh, is a copycat.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.