Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So back a month or two ago i bought a new king sporty tank. Bedlined it to match my other tins and just this past week i got my bike back together threw some gas in her and went to fire her up for a ride yesterday and noticed my bed liner had bubbled so i took my finger and wiped the bubble only to reveal a small pin hole spouting out gas has anybody had this trouble out of a new tank before? i got a buddy whos goin to fix the leak and throw a sight glass in the tank but im F^*King pissed that a brand new tank is leaking

·
Banned
613 Posts
So back a month or two ago i bought a new king sporty tank. Bedlined it to match my other tins and just this past week i got my bike back together threw some gas in her and went to fire her up for a ride yesterday and noticed my bed liner had bubbled so i took my finger and wiped the bubble only to reveal a small pin hole spouting out gas has anybody had this trouble out of a new tank before? i got a buddy whos goin to fix the leak and throw a sight glass in the tank but im F^*King pissed that a brand new tank is leaking
Yep I've seen it happen all the time. I always seal new tanks to be sure,

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Did you pressure test it first? Just because its new doesn't mean it won't leak.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
The whole sight glass thing always seemed like an accident waiting to happen. Rip the tubing and you'll have a serious leak then...or I could be wrong.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when i got the tank it came with a paper that said it was pressure tested but i got a buddy who can do that for me it just pisses me off that this company sucks ass in my opinion now and needed to rant and as far as the sight glass goes i live in a very rural area so odometer and or sight glass is almost a must for me and im not too hip to throwing kreem tank sealer in a new tank i have seen it do some gnarly stuff to carbs and petcocks so i think a little brazing and tig welding is in the new tanks furure

·
Banned
613 Posts
when i got the tank it came with a paper that said it was pressure tested but i got a buddy who can do that for me it just pisses me off that this company sucks ass in my opinion now and needed to rant and as far as the sight glass goes i live in a very rural area so odometer and or sight glass is almost a must for me and im not too hip to throwing kreem tank sealer in a new tank i have seen it do some gnarly stuff to carbs and petcocks so i think a little brazing and tig welding is in the new tanks furure
Be glad you didn't have a high dollar paint job. Use POR 15 in the tank you will be glad you did. Even with welding it you won't be sure.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Always pressure test tanks.

I take mine to a radiator shop for Red Cote before use.

Never bed line a motorbike.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ill try the por15 even after i get it plugged and i dig the bedliner im a cheap ass and its something different than flat black

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
and thanks everyone for your input and lettin me be a pain in the ass for the day im sure ill end up with more questions im still learing harleys but diggin the experience

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea learning ironheads but im one of the few people in my area at my age 22 thats into harleys let alone old ones im just glad my 2brother inlaws graduated from mmi and can lend me a hand and very thankful to some of the olderbikers in my area that put up with a young guy with alot of questions

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Sorry to see you experienced problems, but yours is a perfect example of why every tank should be pressure tested before being put into service. The test can be as simple as using a plastic bag for a gasket between the cap and the tank and then putting air pressure thru the petcock while spraying a soap and water solution on the tank as you look for bubbles . Obviously you want to pay particular attention to the welds or places where the metal may have been streched thin during the forming process. You want to use a regulator so you can accurately controll the air pressure. A few pounds pressure is plenty, and will reveal any leaks. In fact, if you venture beyond 10 psi you run the very real possibility of deforming or distorting your tank. Not good!! :eek:.

An alternative to the soap test on the outside of the tank is a hydro test. A hydro test is performed by in a similar fashion but you fill the tank with water before applying air pressure, and then look for for signs of seeping thru the tank. Once again, keep your pressure in the single digits when testing gas tanks. Back in my days of building refineries and chemical plants we always hydro tested critical piping systems but we tested under much higher pressure. Good Luck to you in the future.

Regards,
Geo.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes i agree with everything thats been said and on this tank i learned a valuable lesson ALWAYS pressure test a new tank from now on that will be my new practice every time

1 - 16 of 16 Posts