Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Looks like it's an attempt to keep oil out of the crankcase to either minimize overoiling the top end, or oil drag on the flywheels...
Maybe, but that seems off-the-wall to me, unless that a beast of a motor and Josh has no idea what's on his hands. Plus, if you're going to go through all of that trouble to feed the lines out of the bottom of the jugs, why wouldn't you just plug the head and tap the drains in there so you can keep the oil temps down?

Who knows what lies behind the DCOE Webers?

Josh...pull the timing plug and see what flywheels are in it.

·
6,351 Posts
Would this be for performance? to make more horse power?
the motor is said to be 96 inch?
Hmm...I've also read that it's done on big bore motors that have run out of room for the oil return passages, so they dump into the cone or the lifter blocks. Very interesting!

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
Hmm...I've also read that it's done on big bore motors that have run out of room for the oil return passages, so they dump into the cone or the lifter blocks. Very interesting!
96" is still only 3 5/8" jugs though, as long as it's 4 5/8" wheels. There's plenty of room in stock cases for that.

With that being said though, because of the way that stroker jugs drain (due to the additional piston travel), the drain hole in the jug needs to the lowered and there needs to be a hole drilled into the case to accomodate. It sounds like instead of hogging out the case for the oil to return into the case at the lower point, that this dude just tapped the jugs and had it return to the cam chest.

If you've ever looked at aftermarket cases (I can show you a pic of my S&S cases), there is a notch in them where the cylinder base meets...this notch lines up to the bottom of the return drain and if you drill into the bottom and insert a tube to divert the oil past the original drain hole, then it will drain further down into the case instead of onto the piston skirts.

·
6,351 Posts
Yeah, this is all supposition based on the reasons I've seen people give as to why they put in external drains (some by Jesse over at shovelhead.us)...what do you think about those drains though?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I know that my 100" in stock cases drains down through the cylinder base and that the other set of S&S cases I have came with the notches for that exact same reason.

I was told mine was a 96" when I bought it too, but once I got it home and read the flywheels I realized that it was 4 3/4" wheels instead of 4 5/8" and with the 3 5/8" jugs (which ended up at .030" over after a top end freshening, making it 99.68") I realized that even the previous owner didn't know.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts