Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....yeah, yeah its full of rich boy toys, I know. But this monthes got a cool article on the Rollie Free Black Lightning. Its at least a good check out, and maybe a sly ravor blade removal if you don't like the bookstore/magazine.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
caffeine said:
i wish there was a bike counterpart to the Rodders Journal.
Your not the only one. I've been playing with the idea of trying to get some kind of magazine going. Not really showcasing any one genre of bike, but definitely focusing on older bikes. Sort of like ROdders Journal. I just seem to find that I have to read 20 different mags just to get what I want out of one. I'd want it to be a collaboration though, like a co-op magazine.
Then again I'd read bloody Cosmo if it had a Black Lightning article in it.

·
Banned
648 Posts
Mags

I'd like to see something like Hop Up but monthly and all bikes. I was so bummed to read CC's story about Johhny Chop's True Blue in the newest Horse. Would have loved to hear more about the bike and JC and a lot less of the author telling us what a hard core bad ass he is. Put a shirt on dude, relax. (It was cool to see Trent and George and Wes get in there though, it was like a JJ reunion issue! And the baloney thing reminded me of a good old Big Brother stunt.) There is an off-road mag called Dirt Sports that is super high quality and has a really good editorial format that includes great studio photos, tech how-to's, event coverage, interviews and brief history/respect lessons. You could plug this scene into that formula, mix in a little more punk rock vibe and run it. I art directed a few dozen motocross magazines and BMX magazines for Transworld for a couple years a little while back and have had a serious magazine fetish ever since. The weird broad at Barnes & Noble knows me by name...

Anyway, I hear you, I think there is room for a new magazine that speaks to a different rider that has evolved in the last few years. I know the Atomic guys would probably love to do one, eh?? They obviously gots skills...

In the meantime, Dice gets my vote, but it's no Rodder's Journal.

·
Registered
361 Posts
THis is why i read the Jockey journal. It's a new edition everday. Inspiring photos, entertaining stories, good tech pieces, crazy editorials, movie reviews,bike part sources and classifieds. Corraspondents from around the world. Pretty good read altogether. Gets my thumbs up:D Gregg

·
Registered
591 Posts
greggski said:
THis is why i read the Jockey journal. It's a new edition everday. Inspiring photos, entertaining stories, good tech pieces, crazy editorials, movie reviews,bike part sources and classifieds. Corraspondents from around the world. Pretty good read altogether. Gets my thumbs up:D Gregg
That's exactly correct. The best on-line source BY FAR. If a print version were available, I'd subscribe today.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
StraightPipez said:
That's exactly correct. The best on-line source BY FAR. If a print version were available, I'd subscribe today.
That's kind of my thinking in decorum. A print version of the shit that hits around here. We have a good cross-section of bike guys - choppers, bobbers, cafe's, stock classics, modifieds - usually all with grease on the hands of their owners. Hell I think there maybe even a few of those good damn, no good sport bikers around here. :)

I can't find anywhere around here that carries Dice. I hear much about it, but no avail.

·
Registered
176 Posts
You could always order the dice of there site!
http://www.dicemagazine.com/

ol_scratch said:
That's kind of my thinking in decorum. A print version of the shit that hits around here. We have a good cross-section of bike guys - choppers, bobbers, cafe's, stock classics, modifieds - usually all with grease on the hands of their owners. Hell I think there maybe even a few of those good damn, no good sport bikers around here. :)

I can't find anywhere around here that carries Dice. I hear much about it, but no avail.

·
Registered
8 Posts
No Good said:
You could always order the dice of there site!
http://www.dicemagazine.com/
You can also get it from The Hot Rod Company in USA, plus...

If you are registered for Jockey Journal's sister site H.A.M.B. - FREE domestic US shipping - just state you're from the HAMB in the "special instructions" box on the order conformation page.
Click 'magazines', then 'Show All'. Dice is about 3/4th down the page. They have the latest one, #7.

Please join the HAMB. Lots of cool guys and gals and the tech section on painting and such are great. Check out the HAMB O'Dex forum for some nice items and discounts to forum members.

Hope this helps ya.

-David

·
Registered
8 Posts
Re: Rollie Free

Re: Rollie Free, my hero.

http://www.landracing.com/miva/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=L&Product_Code=4007&Category_Code=SRPC

And from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Black_Shadow

The bathing suit picture
The famous picture of a man stretched out in only a bathing suit on a
Vincent is in fact not a Black Shadow. It was in fact a Black Lightning.
The difference between the two bikes is essentially the difference
between a factory race tuned bike and a stock. The Black Lightning was a
custom order from the factory and was some 100 pounds lighter and 25hp
more powerful than the stock model. The Black Lightning is the finest
Vincent ever produced.

As for the famous "bathing suit bike" picture, it is of Rollie Free, an
American, riding at the Bonneville Salt Flats on 13 September 1948.
Free was determined to break the land speed record in the "Flying Mile."
His first pass hit 148 mph, which broke the record, but Free was
determined to break 150. Noticing that his riding leathers had started to come
apart at the seams from the force of the wind, Free borrowed a bathing
suit, cap, and a pair of tennis shoes and laid down on the bike. With
the decreased drag, Free broke 150 mph, topping out at 150.313 mph,
shattering his record of only a few moments before. That bike, also known
as the "John Edgar Lightning" after its sponsor, is currently in the
private collection of Herb Harris of Austin, Texas.

·
Registered
361 Posts
gokartmozart said:
You can also get it from The Hot Rod Company in USA, plus...

If you are registered for Jockey Journal's sister site H.A.M.B. - FREE domestic US shipping - just state you're from the HAMB in the "special instructions" box on the order conformation page.
Click 'magazines', then 'Show All'. Dice is about 3/4th down the page. They have the latest one, #7.

Please join the HAMB. Lots of cool guys and gals and the tech section on painting and such are great. Check out the HAMB O'Dex forum for some nice items and discounts to forum members.

Hope this helps ya.

-David
UHH most of us are from the Hamb....:D Gregg

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gokartmozart said:
Been on the HAMB for years now. I just tend to not get subscriptions.

·
TI_Tuesday
1,444 Posts
Re: Mags

Billdozer1811 said:
I'd like to see something like Hop Up but monthly and all bikes. I was so bummed to read CC's story about Johhny Chop's True Blue in the newest Horse. Would have loved to hear more about the bike and JC and a lot less of the author telling us what a hard core bad ass he is. Put a shirt on dude, relax. (It was cool to see Trent and George and Wes get in there though, it was like a JJ reunion issue! And the baloney thing reminded me of a good old Big Brother stunt.)

·
Registered
360 Posts
ol_scratch said:

Let's do this. I'm in.:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts