Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally found a bike. Went up to Philly on Saturday and bought this '66 Bonneville. It hadn't been started in a year, but fired up after a few kicks. Rode well, motor seemed real strong. Clutch could be an issue. Got it home and haven't been able to start it since, well it fired for about 30 seconds tonight. Guy has two Amal's on it, looks like they will definitely need some tuning. Going to clean up the carbs tomorrow. Order new points, etc, next week. Of course leaking oil from various spots. I'm heading up near Rask in PA the week after, maybe amass a list and go in person.
Both brakes worked well, a bonus.
The wiring looks awful, but the headlight and tailight both work. Lot of crimp-on connectors. Guess I'll be buying those 15' length of heat shrink.
Seat and sissy-bar has to go. The chrome invader wheel isn't in too bad shape. I removed the front fender and chain guard.
Front end supposed to be from a '71 (it has ribs).
Bars are funky, but surprisingly comfortable. Maybe some z-bars at a future date.
Going to change out all the fluids, what stuff are you guys running?
Title is clean with a notarized signature. Frame & motor numbers match, not that it matters much with the MD vintage plates (no inspection).
Frame and engine cases actually look real good, no visible damage.
I'll snap some more pix tomorrow so you can add to my "to do" list.
Get ready for some stupid questions!
That's my 21 year old daughters new Ninja 500 in the corner. She broke the news to her mom and I last night that she'd bought a bike a few weeks ago, had been storing at her boyfriends. Rode home with her on my America, she did OK, hope she is safe. She's smart enough at least to wear full gear and has the MSF course under her belt.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good looking start! The bike I started with looked amazingly simlar,with the exception of the Invader wheel.At least yours ran when you bought it...hehehe

·
Registered
372 Posts
ssjones said:
Well, I finally found a bike. Went up to Philly on Saturday and bought this '66 Bonneville. It hadn't been started in a year, but fired up after a few kicks. Rode well, motor seemed real strong. Clutch could be an issue. Got it home and haven't been able to start it since, well it fired for about 30 seconds tonight. Guy has two Amal's on it, looks like they will definitely need some tuning. Going to clean up the carbs tomorrow. Order new points, etc, next week. Of course leaking oil from various spots. I'm heading up near Rask in PA the week after, maybe amass a list and go in person.
Both brakes worked well, a bonus.
The wiring looks awful, but the headlight and tailight both work. Lot of crimp-on connectors. Guess I'll be buying those 15' length of heat shrink.
Seat and sissy-bar has to go. The chrome invader wheel isn't in too bad shape. I removed the front fender and chain guard.
Front end supposed to be from a '71 (it has ribs).
Bars are funky, but surprisingly comfortable. Maybe some z-bars at a future date.
Going to change out all the fluids, what stuff are you guys running?
Title is clean with a notarized signature. Frame & motor numbers match, not that it matters much with the MD vintage plates (no inspection).
Frame and engine cases actually look real good, no visible damage.
I'll snap some more pix tomorrow so you can add to my "to do" list.
Get ready for some stupid questions!
That's my 21 year old daughters new Ninja 500 in the corner. She broke the news to her mom and I last night that she'd bought a bike a few weeks ago, had been storing at her boyfriends. Rode home with her on my America, she did OK, hope she is safe. She's smart enough at least to wear full gear and has the MSF course under her belt.
I'll make a suggestion you really don't want to hear... Pull the engine, split the cases, and clean out the sludge trap. It's cheaper to do it before the engine seizes and destroys a rod, the cylinders, and the crank, possibly the cases also.

See my tips on removal of the trap here:

http://triumphchoppers.com/gallery/album41

When the trap plugs up, you lose oil to the right side rod. If you're running 80 down the highway, the results can be pretty ugly. Even lower speeds, the rod can bend. If it does, it'll contact the bottom of the cylinders and break them off. At higher speeds, the rod can and will break. The attached picture is of the parts from my engine. I still have these in my garage, 7 years after this happened. I show these to people buying old Triumphs as a warning.

Good luck, and have fun with it.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
michmadman said:
Good looking start! The bike I started with looked amazingly simlar,with the exception of the Invader wheel.At least yours ran when you bought it...hehehe
Well, sort of. I rode it several blocks in Philly, but it's only ran about 30 seconds here in MD. Clean-up/tune-up ensues.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oktr6r said:
I'll make a suggestion you really don't want to hear... Pull the engine, split the cases, and clean out the sludge trap. It's cheaper to do it before the engine seizes and destroys a rod, the cylinders, and the crank, possibly the cases also.

See my tips on removal of the trap here:

http://triumphchoppers.com/gallery/album41

When the trap plugs up, you lose oil to the right side rod. If you're running 80 down the highway, the results can be pretty ugly. Even lower speeds, the rod can bend. If it does, it'll contact the bottom of the cylinders and break them off. At higher speeds, the rod can and will break. The attached picture is of the parts from my engine. I still have these in my garage, 7 years after this happened. I show these to people buying old Triumphs as a warning.

Good luck, and have fun with it.
Les:
In the next several weeks, it gets trucked to a buddy who restores bikes and I'll plan a course of action. I'm sure he'll recommend the same. I was reading with interest your recent post on relacing points, might try that with this bike as well. Thanks for the advice, I'll need plenty more.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kustom chief said:
What part of Maryland are you from? Cool bike. I am close to Fair Hill. - Larry
Larry:
I'm up in Hagerstown, Western MD. If you are riding up this way or in the area, give me a shout and drop by.

·
Registered
372 Posts
exmonkeypunk said:
that jacked up rod and piston would make a cool shifter.
Yeah, but it'd be too heavy. I thought about trying it a few times, but the weight keeps me from it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts