Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 257 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi-Not sure if my build is true to jockey journal spirit or not but here goes-
i have always wanted a dragbike of some description,i also have always prefered smaller capacity bikes.so my plan here was a light weight bike with an ok horsepower output.i would of liked to build using a british twin but i just can't afford to go down that road.
after buying a dirt bike i decided on mx power.being an engineer i really liked the engineering on KTMs.i was going to use a 450cc but came across a 560 smr engine (approx 60 hp)at the right price.intention is to get it going in standard spec to start,maybe on methanol with some exhaust and cam work.
next came some forks.i wanted light weight and short.i found some good quality aftermarket pit bike forks.they were a bit rough but they had nice triple clamps,and cartridge damping.upon pulling them apart to shorten them i found them a bit worn,so i still shortened the internals for mock-up.i then found a brand new set which i have yet to swap the shortened internals into.i also swapped the clamps around,top to bottom,bottom to top for two reasons,one to mount the handlebars low and to give me more tyre clearance as i was using a bigger diameter wheel than they were made for.then i made some handlebar mounts.(still not sure if i'll use these or go to clip-ons).

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle Bicycle part Nickel Gas Rim Metal Bicycle accessory Nickel Bicycle part Rim Carbon Automotive lighting Font Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Rim Nickel Circle Font Automotive lighting Auto part Bicycle part Rim Gas Cylinder Nickel

next up was tyres-what a mission(i live in new zealand-we're upside down at the bottom of the planet).after a lot of searching i came up with the 17 x 2.5 hooiser and the 18 x 5.5 M/T.(the new 4 inch M & Hs were not being made at this time).
next mission wheels.i couldn't find hubs i liked,so decided to make some.similar to speedway type hubs that bolt together.i have just couriered them off to get built using morad rims.next time i see them they will be wheels-yipee.

Automotive tire Light Rim Gas Font Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle part Rim Machine Rim Gas Engineering Auto part Automotive tire Household hardware Cylinder Gas Rim Tire Automotive tire Bumper Rim Gas Bicycle part Household hardware Nickel Cylinder Automotive super charger part Rim Nickel Cylinder Machine Composite material Automotive tire Wheel Bicycle part Rim Automotive wheel system Bicycle part Household hardware Rim Nickel Jewellery

·
Registered
84 Posts
YES tyres and NZ I dont know what the fuck it is but Ive had similar problems! (18 inch whitewall nearly impossible to find) What part of NZ are you in?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My initial design picture is a bit simple but you get the idea.and my very basic mock-ups.

Brown Rectangle Wood Flooring Floor Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting

this pile is my frame jig.now i've finished the hubs i'll get back onto it.still have to weld up a steel table to bolt it all to.

Wood Hardwood Gas Engineering Machine

and these are where i'll be heading with the overall look.minus the supercharger.(sorry if i've used your picture without asking)

Photograph Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting White Wheel Tire Land vehicle Helmet Sports equipment Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

i just gotta clear a space in amongst this junk to fit my new table in.(i will use the same table to build a 32 chassis on for the 34 pickup)

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have a question here for drag bike riders-i was thinking of linking the front and rear brakes.using the handle bar mounted master cylinder to operate both with an inline proportioning valve/line lock.mainly just to simplify things(ie loose the rear master cylinder and lever).is this a dumb idea?i know i some times use the rear to settle the bike on a road bike mainly in corners,will i be looking to do the same with a straight liner?(not corners but settle the bike).

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I cant and wont speak for others. But I certainly want to see more. As for me, seperate the brakes, its built in redundancy if nothing else. Not raced a bike on the 1/4 but had my '32 coupe down a couple times and two choices would be better then one.

·
Registered
710 Posts
You're gonna need a front brake to hold the bike while warming up the slick.You might wanna check with your local track as to what you need as far as passing tech inspection before you go any further.

·
Registered
168 Posts
As someone that has been riding dragbikes for 40 years I will second the recomendation for seperate brakes. You will need the front for your burnout and the first word of advise I give anyone about riding a dragbike is " never use the front brake in the shutdown area unless absolutely needed". There can be a fair amount of oil slim on the track down there sometimes from the blowby developed when cars,etc. close the throttle at high RPM after the lights. As we like to say " The ride starts at the finish line". There has probably been more crashes getting stopped than an other way.
Good luck with your project, looks like a lot of fun,all you need now is 5 gallons of nitro,lol. Have FUN.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Vendetta,
I Want Your Hubs!!! Awesome Work, Wish I had That Skill,
Good Luck,
Monte
thanks,but i can't take all the credit for them though.i run a cnc lathe at work that takes up to 32mm parts,whereas nathan looks after the big stuff.so big thanks to him for machining some blanks for me.i did design and milling work on them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As someone that has been riding dragbikes for 40 years I will second the recomendation for seperate brakes. You will need the front for your burnout and the first word of advise I give anyone about riding a dragbike is " never use the front brake in the shutdown area unless absolutely needed". There can be a fair amount of oil slim on the track down there sometimes from the blowby developed when cars,etc. close the throttle at high RPM after the lights. As we like to say " The ride starts at the finish line". There has probably been more crashes getting stopped than an other way.
Good luck with your project, looks like a lot of fun,all you need now is 5 gallons of nitro,lol. Have FUN.
thanks,i did have doubts about a linked system,even with a proportioning valve and lineloc for burnouts.
but you've made my mind up for me.
next decision is how big to go with the calipers front to rear.i have both 2 and 4 piston calipers.should i run the 4 on the back or just get another 2 and run a 2 front and back.

·
Registered
168 Posts
thanks,i did have doubts about a linked system,even with a proportioning valve and lineloc for burnouts.
but you've made my mind up for me.
next decision is how big to go with the calipers front to rear.i have both 2 and 4 piston calipers.should i run the 4 on the back or just get another 2 and run a 2 front and back.
I can't imagine that 2 is not enough for the speed you'll run but then I've never seen a shutdown area down under. It would be plenty over here.

·
Registered
138 Posts
This thread needs bigger pics!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Great thread Vendetta, I'll definitely be watchin' this one. Like the concept, I too like to make somethin' little go big. Real nice fab work too! Listen I'm no expert by any means, but it looked to me like the front tire didn't have much clearance, maybe just the angle of the pic. The point bein': a Bud of mine was doin' a late-night test 'n tune on the Interstate on his 750 Honda. After a 3-4 mile run as he turned around to go back he noticed that his plastic front fender had melted thru' in one spot from tire expansion at high speed! Just sayin....

Whack.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Great thread Vendetta, I'll definitely be watchin' this one. Like the concept, I too like to make somethin' little go big. Real nice fab work too! Listen I'm no expert by any means, but it looked to me like the front tire didn't have much clearance, maybe just the angle of the pic. The point bein': a Bud of mine was doin' a late-night test 'n tune on the Interstate on his 750 Honda. After a 3-4 mile run as he turned around to go back he noticed that his plastic front fender had melted thru' in one spot from tire expansion at high speed! Just sayin....

Whack.
sorry about the pictures-they are taken with my phone.the one you refer to that looks like there is bugger all clearance is actually a piece of tape across the forks holding the tyre central.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I can't imagine that 2 is not enough for the speed you'll run but then I've never seen a shutdown area down under. It would be plenty over here.
yeah i thought that after i wrote my comment.it'll probably be 120-130mph.sometimes i shouldn't think out loud!cheers.

1 - 20 of 257 Posts