Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got the Morris Magneto M5 Auto Mag on and all setup and running today
the bike feels a hell of a lot stronger and throttle response is a lot stronger also
there is a reason that Im a Morris Magneto dealer and its because they make an absolutely great product

vid of it running on the bike

pic of it on the bike

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How hard is it kick (and start) 93" with the impulse coupler mag?
not bad at all
im very used to kicking this bike it has high compression also
its a lot harder to kick than a stock 74" 8.5 to 1 compression bike but not too hard
im very used to kicking this motor over and i know exactly where that compression stroke is on it
im very happy with the auto mag

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
The thing with the M or G5 mags is you DON'T kick them hard when starting. You get the same amount of spark out of rolling it with a gentle kick, that's how the mag was designed.
You just put a 100 knee surgeons out of business!:D

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I learned a long time ago with an XR 500 that there is definetely a right and a wrong way to kick start a bike. You definetely don't use Brawn over Brain. There is a right way and a wrong way, and nothing in between.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
That's a fine looking set up, but man-o-man, $1649.00 is a LOT of money for an ignition system.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a fine looking set up, but man-o-man, $1649.00 is a LOT of money for an ignition system.
yeah it is a lot of money but when you look at the parts in person and hold them you can feel the quality in Morris Magnetos parts

and its a small price to pay to not have to get stuck because a bad stator that killed your battery and your electronic ignition couldnt get enough power out of the battery to stay running

or having a small wire lead on a coil break from vibration and leave you stuck riding home from Philly to NY on one cylinder firing till you found an open auto parts store on a Sunday to fix the lead and get you back on the long road back to NY

ask me how I know lol
Ive had my battles with electronic igniton and thankfully those days are now behind
this was my last bike to not have a magneto and I will never run a bike without a mag ever again

worst that can happen here is that you lose points or a condensor on the mag (which I carry spares of)

G

·
Pro's and Con's

Always is two sides of the coin.......

Here is one side to that.....

I ran a Morris with a retardable base on my 52 for many years....
Being 4-3/4 stroke and more compression then it should have for today gas...

It was somewhat a bear to kick....Had to throw a heavy kick into it for a good spark to happen....I'm sure if it was a snap-mag it would have been much, much easier...But at that point in time, those wasn't on the market yet...

What I did was revert back to an battery ign....
The one I choose was a single-fire, multi spark with four areas of the advance curve that was dialable....
Plus it has a VOES hook-up.....

After months of dialing in on the road...and some Dyno time...
Got it to live with shit fuel of today and still having 10.5:1 compression going on...

Running Mallory number 7 race boxes on some drag cars in the past and this Ign system having about the same features made the choice a bit easy...

Each one of the four lights that are on the "Magic Box" comes on at a step up in RPM's..
Each has an adjustable screw for that working RPM range, in turn you can speed up the timing curve or slow it down....The whole RPM range of operation is completely dialable....

This unit has been in service for about 25 years on my bike with-out a hint of any trouble..... "Knock on Wood"

Back in the day , these was the most Hi-Tech Battery Ign. Systems that was on the market....

Wasn't just a few years later after I got this one that they down-sized the Magic Box to all fit in the timer.....

The Morris snap mag is the shit for Kick Start Bikes...
But once they fire up they go to full advance on the spark...
The only way you have of controlling the curve is by retarding the mag from full advance...

That's not all that of a Bad thing to do these days when High Compression and the Fuel that the EPA and OPEC is forcing us to use....are in the mix..

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
351 Posts
Pro's and Con's

Always is two sides of the coin.......

Here is one side to that.....

I ran a Morris with a retardable base on my 52 for many years....
Being 4-3/4 stroke and more compression then it should have for today gas...

It was somewhat a bear to kick....Had to throw a heavy kick into it for a good spark to happen....I'm sure if it was a snap-mag it would have been much, much easier...But at that point in time, those wasn't on the market yet...

What I did was revert back to an battery ign....
The one I choose was a single-fire, multi spark with four areas of the advance curve that was dialable....
Plus it has a VOES hook-up.....

After months of dialing in on the road...and some Dyno time...
Got it to live with shit fuel of today and still having 10.5:1 compression going on...

Running Mallory number 7 race boxes on some drag cars in the past and this Ign system having about the same features made the choice a bit easy...

Each one of the four lights that are on the "Magic Box" comes on at a step up in RPM's..
Each has an adjustable screw for that working RPM range, in turn you can speed up the timing curve or slow it down....The whole RPM range of operation is completely dialable....

This unit has been in service for about 25 years on my bike with-out a hint of any trouble..... "Knock on Wood"

Back in the day , these was the most Hi-Tech Battery Ign. Systems that was on the market....

Wasn't just a few years later after I got this one that they down-sized the Magic Box to all fit in the timer.....

The Morris snap mag is the shit for Kick Start Bikes...
But once they fire up they go to full advance on the spark...
The only way you have of controlling the curve is by retarding the mag from full advance...

That's not all that of a Bad thing to do these days when High Compression and the Fuel that the EPA and OPEC is forcing us to use....are in the mix..
"Power Arc"

G

·
That's the one....

http://www.powerarc.com/pdf/paiiman.pdf

I'm very pleased with it....Has served me well over the years...
Think the Dang thing will out live me...!! ..:D..

=====================================================================

On a side note:

For the 69 and back Gen. models....

S&S has been making a Billet dist. that will take a Cone Motor Ign. pickup...It has all the same dimensions of the Cone Motors (70-Up)....
There are other's that also makes this type of dist.

In order to run a Cone ign. the circuit breaker dive gear and dist gear must be changed to a counterclockwise rotation that the Cone Motors turn at....

This is easy to do with a few parts that S&S makes....

The middle one is the Reverse Rotation from S&S....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
The current ignition from power arc will work without the reverse gears to make the rotor spin counter clockwise. Its design makes it work with either direction of rotation. All you need is a ditributor that will accept the module to go in place of the OEM circuit breaker. No need to open up the cam cover to install reverse gears.

-Craig

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have talked w/ Gary (?) from Power Arc in the past.
Very knowledgeable, nice guy too.
Those were top notch back in the day for EI, PA's probably still are.
I have the same box system Jesse, The individual pot selector works great to eliminate pings.
I guess they even made a machine rotor to spin the shaft to set timing at certain rpm on bench.
I always adjusted running w/ the throttle.

G

·
Being the talk is on Mags....

Gotta mention this bike....

In Vegas at Staz's American M/C we had it on consignment.....
When I first laid eyes on it..WoW....

Mega hand spun work went down in the build...On the other side was two Morris Mags...They was retardable for kicking to life....

On the throttle housing was a cable switch that pulled the mags to retard by thumb .... Completely made from Stainless and polished..Once running they would advance on thier own.....
I kelp this bike running and others that was on the showroom floor...

What a joy to ride ....

http://cyclesource.com/newsblog/2009/07/14/milwaukee-iron-up-for-sale

And was very easy to get fired up....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts