Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't ride the turbo/nitrous BSA this weekend at Maxton since the re-engineered nitrous system isn't done but did break a record with the normally aspirated stock chassis'd 650cc BSA hornet running on a mix of c12 race fuel and pump gas.

I ran 120.989 mph right out the trailer in the rain, wheelied through first and got the front tire air born in second. Funny thing was that I predicted and joked around with Tom about doing it a 120 right out of the trailer. Previous record was a 15 y.o. M/PF-650/4 record at 112 and some change. After some jetting changes went 122.326 mph. The weather there has been very unpredictable and very humid, rainy, then sunny, then rainy so we have been chasing carb settings all day. Last run of the day was 121 and since the sun was going down I was actually able to see our Air/fuel mixture gauge (glare makes it completely unreadable) at 11.8:1 so we are definitely running rich.

The next day the air was absolutely horrible, over 70% humidity I was told and we could only get up to 119mph. After playing with the carbs a bit we decided it wasn't worth trying again and packed up early for the long ride home.

Here is a video of my 122mph run, sorry that there isn't any sound in the beginning, looks like Tom had his finger over the mic for a moment.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Congratulations! Its not a lot of fun when the weather varies as much as that. Is next month the last Maxton?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Hoofheated! Weather fluctations like that are always a drag, you should have seen all the fuel injection guys, they were going crazy with laptops after every run.

October is the last meet ever at Maxton. There will be a party Saturday night and I am sure it will be a huge field competing since it will be the send off meet. If anyone ever wanted to check it out, THIS IS the meet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I WAS THERE!!!. Got invited to hitch a ride and "crew" with Don Hass and Steve Serafini. The weather was screwy, and man is the southern sun hot when its out.. Don ran 220.177 on his shakedown pass and that turned out to be his best run due to the weather... BTW...CONGRATS!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Rivet. Any chance that your beasties will see the salt next year?

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I wasn't thinking World Finals. I was thinking SpeedWeek next year. Would love to see the BSAs out there.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
"Financier", huh. I had one of those but he declared bankruptcy after Bonneville. Have to see if I can find another one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.