Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After some searching I decided to build my own. Still in mock up build state. Saved the neck for registration reasons, and the motor cradle to make it a little easier on me. To let you know a few more details, The "link plates" for the rear motor mounts will be cleaned up and made more visually appealing, and the frame will have fender mount bungs welded on soon. I've decided that the tank doesn't fit the overall look of the bike and I'm looking to trade it for something different(ad in the classifieds). This build is a long time coming and I'm pretty psyched to have built the frame myself.....as well as doing all of the modifications myself,machining,welding,design, everything. It may not be "Custom"in some peoples eyes, but I prefer "Home built" over custom any day! Thanks for the well wishes and kind words thus far.....

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I like it. Classic lines with today's reliability and power (with the possibility of lots more).

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Hold on tight when you twist the throttle.... you're going to smoke the tires for a mile! Ton of engine for that frame. like the idea, that motor will last forever.

Curious how will you manage with all the electronics that came with that motor? My other bike is '00 RK and it has a stupid amount of wiring and shit...

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
WOW that tc motor looks HUGH!in that frame yes keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hold on tight when you twist the throttle.... you're going to smoke the tires for a mile! Ton of engine for that frame. like the idea, that motor will last forever.

Curious how will you manage with all the electronics that came with that motor? My other bike is '00 RK and it has a stupid amount of wiring and shit...
Actually I've already dealt with that issue. Altmann ignition, very few wires left to deal with now. Forgot to mention that it's an 07' tc96", it acually pulled fairly hard already..........

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Looks great thus far! Glad to see a "modern" Twin Cam being used in a rigid frame custom. Anyone who thinks a Twin Cam is inappropriate because it isn't "traditional" should consider that they were around in 1928.:D

Bob

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Here's how I delt with the bracing and support on an '06 Softail that I hardtailed for a client in Flagstaff. I reused the original "seatpost" to mount his coil and oil tank, but I also made a support brace that the swingarm's old shortened pivot shaft slides through, and fits over the top of the rear transmission mount I made, and the tranny case tail. It bolts in behind the seat crosstube up top. You can unbolt this brace, and pull the transmission out, and the engine stays put.

And, yeah, I'm a big fan of the Altmann P3 ignition, I've used 5 of them on previous TC builds. 5 wires is pretty simple. This bike was also fuel injected, and I converted it to an S&S E carb using the Altmann P3. Here's what it looks like now, and the owner has about 3,000 mi. on the bike. Hard to see the brace back there.

·
Premium Member
7,101 Posts
Looks great thus far! Glad to see a "modern" Twin Cam being used in a rigid frame custom. Anyone who thinks a Twin Cam is inappropriate because it isn't "traditional" should consider that they were around in 1928.:D

Bob
Twincam's been around since 1923 at least, could be a little earlyer, but that is in Factory Race form, Civy 1928-29 as the JDH

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Rich,
Thanks for the tip. There's actually a similar brace on my frame. I welded mine in permanently though, and it runs vertically from the bottom cross member to the top cross member where the rear seat mounts are. I also had the challenge of narrowing the rear end(stock mine had a 200 on it) and removing the odd looking "Dogleg" bend in the left seat stay in an attempt to make the rear a little more symmetrical looking. Originally I was going to remove an inch from the rear length, but decided to leave the wheelbase stock because making the frame on my own was task enough....
~Bruce Wagner

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
It's looking good so far. Yeah, that was a big challenge for you to take on, because trying to rigify a TC B-motored bike isn't the easiest to do. Way more things to consider structurally as you go.

That's going to be a nice bike when it's finished, I don't care what people say, TC motors are big fun in a lightweight platform.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts