Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. My name is Shaun. I'm originally from Los Angeles, now out in Missouri. I've been away from the community/industry for a while now. coming back to see the JJ has changed a lot. I've built choppers for myself in the past and should know the answer to this but, here goes anyways!

I've been looking at building another bike since moving out here. A friend has a Shovelhead chop and while I've never built one myself, I'd really like to. Recently, I found an early 70's, hardtailed OEM shovelhead frame. Of course, its for a great price $500. Bad part, the neck stem flat where the numbers would be is molded over. I know, RUN. I inquired with a local Cop buddy who suggested I steer clear.

However, I'm curious as to why I keep seeing all of these non titled frames on Ebay, etc. with no documentation? If they dont have titles, is it even possible to somehow re-title a harley frame or somehow use them on the road? is it legal to even sell without papers? Additionally, If I were to take possession of the frame I described and the numbers show its stolen, of course it'd be confiscated, I get that. But if not, I would've scored an already hardtailed OEM frame but, how much of a nightmare would it be to get it either re-titled or in the event of no numbers being present, get it stamped again? Please forgive my generalizations here, I've just never pieced together a bike before without matching numbers.

Sorry for the long intro but I'm wondering what the best case scenario would be here, before I shell out the cash for a huge hail mary of course. Thanks for any help on this.

·
Administrator
7,823 Posts
Stop thinking too much. Spend what it takes to get an OEM Shovel frame that has a title and good, unaltered numbers. You can get a titled Shovel frame for $1200 to $1500, give or take. Why bother with a frame that has had numbers molded over. If you were going to do that, better off just to buy an aftermarket frame, at least it would have an MSO number and you'd be able to title it based off of those frame numbers. You're going to run into a hard time titling a non-numbered frame, unless you put a titled pre '70 motor in it. But even then, I'd run, molded over could mean a stolen frame, etc. Pay now or pay later.

·
Administrator
7,823 Posts
Deals could come with strings. Plan out your build, calculate roughly what it may cost. Proceed from there is my best advice.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Deals could come with strings. Plan out your build, calculate roughly what it may cost. Proceed from there is my best advice.
And then add 15/20% on what you think it will cost for things that you won't think about/issues you run in to! from experience it's always the case!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts