Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked this up to start a ground up custom build for a customer from Rhode Island
great donor bike 1977 Shovelhead that has been sitting for a long time
checked the fluids they were clean as hell tossed a battery in it and she fired right up
gonna go through the motor and make sure shes running properly etc.
then I will start to tear it down for a fresh build
plans are to hardtail the frame
original paint AMF sporty tank
Mid controls
16" and 21" wheels
35mm narrow glide front end shaved lowers etc
custom handlebars
custom exhaust
king queen set with a tall sissy bar to match
some vintage tread rubber for tires
horse shoe oil tank
might be going for a magneto and an open belt primary setup if the budget allows

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
stripped and ready for the hardtail and some cleaning on the cases
the motor was clean as hell on the inside and has great compression gonna hit it with a leak down test this week and hoping it dont have to come apart she dont even leak anywhere
it has james gaskets up to so Im guessing someone was inside there recently or the last time she was running

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks guys I love to hear when people are into seeing pics of stuff Im building

little update
the frame is at my buddy Mikes shop 47 Industries in Raritan, NJ since I dont have a frame jib up and running yet so he is gonna do the hardtail for me with the panhead style axle plates
he does a great job on these shovelhead hardtails and makes them look like they are factory work not an added on piece of junk that some of the pre fabbed kits on the market look like

so after I dropped the frame off I spent the day on the parts washer cleaning everything down
and got the trans case all cleaned down and inspected and she's solid no cracks or breaks anywhere
and everything inside looks great
end play on the chain sprocket is well within tolerance and everything is turning and spinning nice and freely

gonna work on stripping the bad paint job someone did on the engine cases tomorrow

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spent the whole work day cleaning and stripping the cases of its awful black paint that someone put on there
and cleaning down that back wheel and the new front end arrived today just have to grab a set of lowers that my friend has for me and shave them down
and the new rear firestone tire showed up also gonna mount that up tonight

cases all cleaned down still have a little left to do I will get to those tight spots when I pull the lifter blocks to repaint them

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rear wheel all cleaned up and ready for its new firestone tire that showed up today

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and the 35mm narrow glide front end
gonna run black powder coated trees
just have to pick up the lowers from a friend so I can shave them down and fit them

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got the lowers all shaved down and ready for powdercoat to match the trees
hoping to have the bike up into a roller by the middle of next week

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hardtail on the frame is almost done
big thanks to Mike from 47 Industries for the work I dont have a frame jig yet so I wasnt able to properly do this at my shop and I support Mikes work as its top notch also

·
Administrator
7,775 Posts
Looking good so far, and yeah Mike is one hell of a fabricator, that frame came out great!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mike did a killer job on the frame, and Carmine is moving super fast, and really going the extra mile to stay in budget. I'm stoked!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know I was just kidding about doing it in one day. But all that in a week? That's great but it is a job so you can work on it all day. :D Looking great by the way.
haha I totally knew you were kidding
this is not my full time job I do bikes as a side business
these are a lot of late nights worth of work lol

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Frame is done over at Mikes
Im picking it up on Monday
should have it all up into a roller by the middle of next week
Front end is all done just have to put the new seals in and slide the legs into the lowers etc.

Let me just take a minute to say how much I appreciate Mike from 47 Industries work
I dropped the frame off to him late last Monday and it was done that same Friday.
Thats a full custom hardtail done 4 days and its done with top level fabrication work.

If I had a frame jig I could have done the hardtail section as I have done a lot of hardtail sporty kits and other frames that have pre fabbed kits to install etc. The swing arm shovel frame is a little more involved and requires a frame jig fixture.
I have the skills to do a job like this I just dont have the proper jig to do it at the moment.
And I greatly appreciate Mike getting in done in a timely manner so I can continue on with the build and get my customer his bike in a timely manner
Here are pics of the frame all finished up at Mikes shop. I'll let the pics do the rest of the talking.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Looks like a killer start!

What's that hub?

Doesn't look like HD, but not a mid-70s HD....I don't know anything about the newer ones. It looks like it has a space for rubber dampeners to take the "jerk" out of shift in power to the wheel. At least that's how my early 80s Honda wheel was set up, and looked similar.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Woah - I hate to say it, but that's a metal shear, not a frame jig :D

That hardtail looks great - I know where to go if I decide to hardtail my shovel.

Also - what color is the powder coat?
haha yeah the final pics are sitting on his metal shear if you look at the earlier ones they are build in a frame fixture he has

The powdercoat color I used is called reflective chrome
it does not look like chrome though it looks like a deeper gray aluminum
cool subtle color that I like to use

·
Administrator
7,775 Posts
The powdercoat color I used is called reflective chrome
it does not look like chrome though it looks like a deeper gray aluminum
cool subtle color that I like to use
That is a great color, definately subtle, but different!

1 - 20 of 141 Posts