Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting around to start work on my next project a little 1960 XLCH ironhead
going for a real low and skinny look on the bike very minimal chrome mostly black and brushed aluminum finish
probably gonna take a little out of the sporty tank and might do a frisco mount on it
play around with this seat a little more
and take about 3 or 4 inches out of the front end

just have to finish a little more work on the hardtail on the frame (no I did not cut up the original 60 frame thats in the first pics)
The frame Im using was given to me by a friend looks to be a '65 and up piece
this is what I started with when I got it

motor out

quick mock up on the new frame

·
Registered
689 Posts
Do you plan on running some type of support from the rear motor mount area to the backbone? It would be a wise decision to add some support there to help keep the frame from tweaking. Where did that hardtail come from? It looks different from most where it attaches to the bottom of the frame.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you plan on running some type of support from the rear motor mount area to the backbone? It would be a wise decision to add some support there to help keep the frame from tweaking. Where did that hardtail come from? It looks different from most where it attaches to the bottom of the frame.
yeah there was a piece of pipe that was crushed to make it oval to fit the in the slot between the stock seat tubes then just square tubing up and across to the back bone looked really shitty so I cut it out
Im gonna use a regular piece of DOM round tube and put a slight s bend going into the tube that sits in front of the rear tire
then slug and extend the backbone tube to that
then plate around the back and sides of the stock seat tubes,
should be more than plenty strong

I have no idea what hardtail kit that is
it might have been custom made
no clue but where its mounted to the frame now is all good
good quality welds and the frame is straight,
its also plated along the bottom underneath the back bottom tubes

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Moisture. Killing one classic bike at a time. Good luck to your future build.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dropped the motor in place to measure for the seat tube last night

I love how skinny these things are

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got some more work done
did the seat tube, and fork stop piece, measured up the front end and sent them out to Frank to be cut gonna run them -2 under stock
glass beaded and painted the cylinder heads,
sent the cylinders out for a fresh hone and ordered some new rings
bottom end checked out all good,
sent magneto out to be recharged,
shaved up the lower legs on the front end and powdercoated
shaved the upper tree and powdercoated

hoping to get the motor back together before the month is over and see how it runs
checked everything out on the motor (crank, rods, pistons etc.) found out that it is a 74" ironhead so now Im really pumped to get this thing running

heres a few updated pics
rear seat tube all welded in

fork stops all welded in (still gonna shape them a little more)

cylinder heads painted and ran through a few heat cycles coating is fully cured

the lower legs getting shaved up on my lathe,

the legs are currently cooling down in the oven after some fresh black powdercoat

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I wasn't to sure at first but it looks like you got this under control. Looking forward to seeing this bike evolve.
Thanks
this isnt my first build just my first sporty
still undecided with what im going to do with the tank

keep it low kind of where it is in the pics with the backbone sitting in the tunnel ?

or trim some width out of it, hammer out the flat spot on top and give it a nice flat bottom frisco mount ?

heres pics of the lower legs all powdercoated
Franks Forks called me today my tubes shipped today and will be here monday cant wait then I can my front end back on (right now its mocked up with a spare front end I have)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
had an junk sporty tank kicking around so I took 2 inches out of it and cut the bottom out
what do you think ?

before I cut the center I welded in a new patch where the old gas cap was and hammered out the flat spot the best I could with just a hammer and anvil
its gonna need some plastic work but Ive filled in way worse tanks than this

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
got most of the motor all back together
completely re done top end
and a little more port work done on the heads
hoping to have it running in the next week or so

·
Registered
270 Posts
Love the color combo on the motor. What paint did you use on the heads? Does it look like aluminum or more silver in person? And what kind of carb are you going to run on that square flange manifold. Keep the pics coming

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Love the color combo on the motor. What paint did you use on the heads? Does it look like aluminum or more silver in person? And what kind of carb are you going to run on that square flange manifold. Keep the pics coming
thanks on the heads I used VHT flameproof aluminum paint, then heat cured them in my powdercoat oven,

on the jugs I used a flat black powdercoat,
on the cam cover and trans sprocket cover I used a semi gloss black powdercoat
and on the rocker boxes (they were chrome that was mostly peeling) so I glassbeaded them, scrubbed them down with scotchbrite and wd40
then ran them through the parts washer, then the dishwasher, and hit them with vht flameproof clear and cured them in the oven also
( I wanted the motor to have a rougher look, the bike is not gonna be a show bike and I dont want a 100% clean, new look to it)

Im using an SU carb on it that was on a pan/shovel motor I had a few years ago

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
got the first piece of the bottom of the tank done today,
gonna do the flat pieces over the weekend, then add the petcock bung and the gas cap and leak test it and I should be all done with the tank
also threw the bars on
gonna have to heat the legs on them and bend them forward a few inches

·
Registered
11 Posts
do you know what the rake of the bike is with the frontend on there? I am just wondering if the neck was raked or if it is stock neck but the hardtail has lowered the bike and "raked" the bike out...

Thanks and BTW- looks proper!!!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts