Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Unkl Ian said:
Has anyone got pics of the twin engine bike Arlen Ness did many years ago.
I think it was called "Too Bad".

Trying to figure out how the front end works.
I've seen some grainy video pics from Discovery channel,
but they don't show enough detail.
This thing??

Attachments

·
Registered
398 Posts
Unkl Ian said:
Yes.

How does the front suspension work ?
it is a torsion bar mounted on a piviot to turn the wheel.

Im sure it did not steer to well

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Unkl Ian said:
Yes.

How does the front suspension work ?
Well I suggest you ask the man himself...but...he's still figuring it out himself on this pic here...:D

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Well, he was at least riding in into the '79 Oakland show...

(@JEB: Dusty photographic memory...scary..:eek: :D )

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Oklahoma said:
Why would it not steer well?
It would not steer with much responsiveness because the rake is approximately 90 degrees.

Without getting into a debate about the steering mechanics of motorcycles, if you can accept that a raked bike steers slower than one with a steep head angle, this bike would have incredibly sluggish steering response.

When "turning" the front wheel on this machine, the rubber won't present much change in directional angle to the road. To better visualize this, imagine theoretically flopping the wheel down over on its side (basically parallel to the ground) and push the bike forward. In this instance, it wouldn't turn.

You might be able to control it at speed on the highway, but manuevering around a parking lot would be murder. With two engines, it looks to be made to go in a straight line anyway.

It's a show bike so I'm not arguing for or against the design.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Unkl Ian said:
Has anyone got pics of the twin engine bike Arlen Ness did many years ago.
I think it was called "Too Bad".

Trying to figure out how the front end works.
I've seen some grainy video pics from Discovery channel,
but they don't show enough detail.
That front end steering set up is called Hub Centre Steering ,I remember back in the 70's and eighties many road racing Motorcycle fabricators were trying it out,Its probably worth doing a google search to find out more info.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I think the ancient Neracar bikes had similar steering with the same problem of requiring a country mile to turn around.

·
Registered
427 Posts
haring said:
It would not steer with much responsiveness because the rake is approximately 90 degrees.

Without getting into a debate about the steering mechanics of motorcycles, if you can accept that a raked bike steers slower than one with a steep head angle, this bike would have incredibly sluggish steering response.

When "turning" the front wheel on this machine, the rubber won't present much change in directional angle to the road. To better visualize this, imagine theoretically flopping the wheel down over on its side (basically parallel to the ground) and push the bike forward. In this instance, it wouldn't turn.

You might be able to control it at speed on the highway, but manuevering around a parking lot would be murder. With two engines, it looks to be made to go in a straight line anyway.

It's a show bike so I'm not arguing for or against the design.
He did ride the bike, front engine only ran the blower

1 - 13 of 13 Posts