Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all. here's my delema. i've wanted for years to have a rigid bobber brit bike. i recently got a '71 BSA dual carb 650. besides the handle bar it's bone stock. it came with a box of reciepts where it's been serviced and maintained. because of the great condition of the chrome i'm sure it's also been kept indoors all this time. the prior owner really took care of this thing. i wanna cut it up, but most everyone tells me not to. my dad(who's opinion i respect most) even told me not to cut it up. he said if i really want a rigid sell this one to someone who love 'em stock and buy one that's already chopped.
here's the question. is there such a thing as a bike that's to nice to cut up?

·
Registered
10 Posts
'71 is a bad year to chop anyway,the oil-in-frame means you should start with a whole other frame.
it is possible that you could sell the frame,fenders,seat,gas tank and other leftover parts and still make some money.
it's also possible that you could sell it for enough for 2 chops if you find the right buyer.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
beatcad said:
hello all. here's my delema. i've wanted for years to have a rigid bobber brit bike. i recently got a '71 BSA dual carb 650. besides the handle bar it's bone stock. it came with a box of reciepts where it's been serviced and maintained. because of the great condition of the chrome i'm sure it's also been kept indoors all this time. the prior owner really took care of this thing. i wanna cut it up, but most everyone tells me not to. my dad(who's opinion i respect most) even told me not to cut it up. he said if i really want a rigid sell this one to someone who love 'em stock and buy one that's already chopped.
here's the question. is there such a thing as a bike that's to nice to cut up?
Yep,I've never left anything I owned as "my stuff" stock. But I've sold stuff that was "too nice to butcher" to keep from cuttin it up.
I'll also think that you can probably sell the stocker, buy a project or finished chop/bobber/whatever and end up ahead of game, money wise. Just takes some time and patience to do it.
.0002 worth,
Larry T

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i'll take some decent digital pix tonite.

·
Banned
163 Posts
it's really about dollars and sense

I don't know what you gave for this allegedly near pristine gray frame BSA..... but if it's really all that

and you cut it because you are in it really right

it will make the other survivors worth just that much more...... and maybe these rather undesireable bikes will finally come into their own.... dollarwise....... in your lifetime

the buck rodgers R3's seem to be bumping up a bit but who knows how long it will be before the tall boy OIF's follow suit...... they really weren't ever popular and they ain't much to look at

if you gave less than a or around a grand and change for a really nice and running 71 buzzard.......

it could go either way depending on what constitutes nice

but if really is too nice to cut...... and it very well could be......then make somebody that thinks so

put their money where their mouth is....... or keep it for your grandkids

there are plenty of engines and frames legitimately and permanently displaced from their numbers matching counterparts and if you are looking to build one really worth the money

that's usually the way to go

it wasn't too long ago I cut up a very nice original paint 1970 A50 Royal Star....... really nice and rare bike with lots new including the engine.....

wouldn't go past 2300 on ebay

guy wanted just the frame and engine with paper

the rest went on ebay for nearly 2300

it was far too nice to cut

still happened

it was far too nice and rare to sell for 2300

never happened

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, here's more info.....this bike is no way perfect, but it's pretty darn nice for a 34 year old bike. it's nicer than most 10 year old bike i've seen. besides changing the handlebar someone painted the tank, air cleaner housings, and the side covers black. i took off the air cleaner and saw the original color was red. i'm gonna paint it back the stock color. i work at a body shop and i can do that one nite after work.

a couple monthes ago i found a bascket case triumph in my town for $750. i didnt have the bread at the time. i posted my '52 chevy for sale on another message board for $1500. i figured i could buy the trump and have some extra dough to finish it up. anyhow, this guy contacts me and asks me if i wanted to straight up trade for this BSA. it had a clear title, so i said sure.

so there's the rest of the story how i got this bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts