Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had a nice ride down to N.C. over the weekend. Riding the dragon was alot of fun. On the way home I had a few problems. But she still got me home. Anyway. She is thumping and down on power. Rear base gasket blew out. So its time to pull her apart and see how bad it really is.

I dont know much about this motor. I have only had the bike for a few months. I do know the cam is way to big ( for the way i ride). I want to stay close to stock or get good power and not have to f*$k with it all of the time.

I have done a search on shovel engine builds. Lots of good info. But im not looking for big power. I need to know what is the best setup for cam heads and pistons on a buget to get good power and great reliaility.

The motor is 1200 cone shovel. The guy i got it from said it was 20 over and camed. Thats all i know as of now.

Also anyone know of a good machine shop in Kentucky?

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
" Also anyone know of a good machine shop in Kentucky? " Your questions beg for a million answers but, a good shop should have the answers for you. Sit down with them and tell them your budget and how you ride and they should be able to set ya up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I talked to a guy in louisville that told me $5000 or more to build a close to stock motor... Thats fucking nuts!!! I hung up on him.

So if anyone has a good engine builder in kentucky or close by Please let me know.

Thanks, Clay

·
Registered
887 Posts
Well I talked to a guy in louisville that told me $5000 or more to build a close to stock motor... Thats fucking nuts!!! I hung up on him.

So if anyone has a good engine builder in kentucky or close by Please let me know.

Thanks, Clay
You probably should have kept him on the line and setup a time to meet with mim with the bike with you, or just the motor.

Depending on what shape the motor is in (and I'm sure he couldn't tell thru the phone line) and what is needed, machined, replaced, pressed, trued, etc.. And is he is responsible for taking the motor out, putting it back in, the whole nine yards. Was ALL that discussed?

A cold call is not going to get a guaranteed exact ammount, especially when it's a sight un-seen motor/rebuild. I'm sure if you were in the shop with the motor and the prospective builder some sort of "window" could have been established, but sight un-seen......

Sixball

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well i understand what your saying. But i told him i would pull it. And he would build it. He told me to balance and rebuild the bottom end and redo the head (if they could be built) and hone my cyl. with gaskets bearings and rings would be around $5000 min... reusing rods and pistons. If its needs new rods pistons and head he said 7-8000.

Fuck me... I meen really. I can buy an s&s for that kind of money

I own and run a fab and mechanic shop. I understand about pricing over the phone. He told me he did not want me to take it apart. Just pull it out and bring it to him.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would buy a FSM and do it my self. The only real skill intensive stuff is rebuilding the flywheels and the head work. You can buy NEW crank assy and S&S heads for around 2k-2500 for BOTH!, that only leaves the cam chest and piston/cylinder to deal with. Take it to an indy and have the oil pump gone through and the cylinders redone and you'll be fine. A GOOD indy should give you all the advice you need if you drop a couple bucks having him handle the piston fitting or oil pump assy/install or something, I know I would, anyway. It's not rocket surgery to take 'em apart and put 'em back together, all you need is a press.

·
Premium Member
6,351 Posts
Yeah, that sounds nuts.
Sub out the machine/balance work and do assembly yourself. If you're the least bit conscientious & mechanical (if you're not, good luck owning a shovel) assembly should pose no problem.
Be methodical, use a torque wrench, avoid RTV, disconnect battery, refrigerate after using.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I have done some evo's in the past. I will build it myself. I was just want someone to do the machine work.

Fatass. Thanks for the info. Ill give them a call.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
post your progress and pics here...I sure am interested!

·
Registered
46 Posts
A Ride in Ride Out Service for a Engine Strip an Re-Build with the Engine in Frame will run to about 17 Hours of Labour + Parts .

God knows where a Quote of $5000 came from i'd expect a new engine for that amount

·
Registered
788 Posts
I had my motor torn down and quoted outright for everything; all machine work, new parts as needed sections of the build (bottom end) and came close at $5k. If I have them so the bottom end and i do the rest, itll save me about $2k.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I talked to a guy from PA. yesterday. Got his info from shovelhead USA. Said he builds stroker parts and all for 3500. I also talk to some friends back in FL that said they can have a shovel built from 1500 to 3500 also. Just depends on how crazy you want to go with it.

Lucky for me the problem with mine wasnt as bad as i thought. Top motor mount broke and the rear jug came loose. That why the base gasket blew out and it ran like shit. I tightend it back up and its smooth as can be. Im still going to take the bike apart and go though everything. She needs to go on a diet anyway...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts