Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fresh stroker that has eaten two ring gears.I was wondering about shimming the bendix.Maybe it's engaging too far on the ring gear? It was a kick only when I got it and I have no experience in setting the starters up.It's the early style big twin four speed.I thought it was just that oem three piece gear (which it destroyed) but now it chipped the new one piece too.Any ideers? Thanks guys. -Strat.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
I wonder if you have the correct thrust washer thickness between the outer primary and the starter shaft? There is a difference between the belt drive outers and the chain drive ones on the 4 speeds. The gaskets are the same , they look the same but one has a thicker copper thrust washer. Else the bendix gear wont engage the ring gear correctly.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would allow the shaft to move with the starter gear? It's acting like an allignment problem though I repaced the starter shaft.It had about .007 runout when I chucked it up and put a dial on it.I'll check that thrust washer.Thanks for the input. -Strat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts