Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've built a battery box out of some scrap mahogany and I like the look of it as it fits with my bike but I don't have the wood working skills or tools that putting a piece of wood on my bike requires - anyone out there want to embellish a basic design and build me a wooden battery box

- Mods - plz move this where ever it belongs

·
Registered
407 Posts
well, when I put a battery in a bike I make a small tray that is weldeed to the frame and then make belt straps that hold it in place I even put leather under the battery to kepp it from damaging the battery I would love to show pics but I cannot show any pics of jap bikes at all here as posted by the rulers of this site

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hey Soulfur, post pics of the one you already made. If you still need a hand with the woodworking and have a good idea of what you're looking for I might be able to help you out. Good luck!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Mahogany is a soft wood that would require special mounts not to break apart due to vibrations. Like swinewerx said about putting a small metal mount welded to the frame that the box would sit on. I would weld nuts under the metal mount and then cut a piece of plate to fit inside the box to bolt through, to sanwhich the wood. As far a box building I would use a good wood glue like titebondII. If your glue joints are strong you should not need to use metal fasteners(nails) to hold it together, the joint will be stronger than the wood.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Like gepetto said, the joinery is key. dovetails, box joints etc, at the bare minimum, use a biscuit joiner. As for the mount, the urethane skateboard bushing and a couple of washers would would probably work perfect.

·
Registered
66 Posts
dude I use to make furniture years ago.....I actually had to decide whether to open a metal working shop or a woodworking shop....I opted for the metal work seeing how I was more experianced at it and hated waiting for glue to dry......but being a home owner I'm always doing some kind of woodwork around the house...your right up the street.....If I can't do it I have a brother with a cabinet shop I can have him make parts for me...look me up....

·
Registered
205 Posts
Find an old humidor or cigar box. There are ones that would fit a battery. They come in plenty of wood options. The cigar shops will actually give u the boxes. If its a really nice one you may have to buy one cigar from them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts