Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sold the panhead and evo longbike to buy a house, all that I'm left with is this triumph project that I picked up for a song little while back.

66 Tr6r bottom end, T120 head,

matching numbers frame, cases.

welded on bolt on hardtail and other misc. goodies.

bottom end turns ok, but it needs a gone through (and I'd like to polish the cases)

So, since im not much of a motor guy, I'd like to give it a try with this triumph. Are there any resources out there, books,online resources, etc.

I have all the time in the world to do it right, i'm in no rush, just looking for something to do over the winter in the new garage.

Also dont wanna hear the "ya sure ya wanna do it, take it to someone who knows what thier doing" crap. I'll of course be jobbing out any machining that needs to be done, but other than that i'd like to give it a shot myself...and do it as much as i cant the right way the first time.

Don't much care if this project takes me a year or 10.

·
Banned
163 Posts
get a manual...... get Shenton's booklet..... and dig in

If you pay as much attention to detail as I see you devote to your pinstriping....... you should end up with a fine engine

McElroy did a fine documentation of a basic overhaul

I think Tud on the Triumph Choppers list did as well.

Pretty sure that one is linked up on the engine banner on my forum.

caffeine said:
I sold the panhead and evo longbike to buy a house, all that I'm left with is this triumph project that I picked up for a song little while back.

bottom end turns ok, but it needs a gone through (and I'd like to polish the cases)

So, since im not much of a motor guy, I'd like to give it a try with this triumph. Are there any resources out there, books,online resources, etc.

I have all the time in the world to do it right, i'm in no rush, just looking for something to do over the winter in the new garage.

Also dont wanna hear the "ya sure ya wanna do it, take it to someone who knows what thier doing" crap. I'll of course be jobbing out any machining that needs to be done, but other than that i'd like to give it a shot myself...and do it as much as i cant the right way the first time.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Nothin' wrong with wanting to do it yourself! :) Wish I had time lately. I'm going to pick up a motor on the side some day just to learn.

Anyway, things you'll need: Tools, tools, and more tools! Get the Whitworth sockets (3/8" and 1/2" drive), the wrench sets will help also for those places you can't get the rachet in, all the silly little pullers for the cam and crank gears (take those as they come. You may be able to substitute), there are some other handy tools like the TDC finder, clutch tools, tappet adjuster tool, etc... all helpful. You might be able to make some of these also. Small hammers (brass, rubber mallets, etc.) and of course the most important tools... BOOKS! Get as many as you can get your hands on. They'll help. The actual Triumph manuals help the most though. You will definitely need a parts book for your year! Also, there is a video called "the Triumph Way", by Hughie Hancox, that's supposed to be good. It covers the rebuild of Unit motors and there is also one for pre-units. $60 though! Do a search, it will come right up.

Place to get parts, tools and books: MAP Cycle, British Cycle Supply, British-Only Cycle, I also like Wes Scott Cycles. Wes Scott is my new favorite for hard to find parts. Had good luck with him. There are tons of places that sell stuff though. Not just those. Just shop around the internet or through word of mouth.

Keep up posted!! :)

Did I forget anything anyone??
caffeine said:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hey Rob, the Haynes manual (as usual) is a really good one to have. Lot's of good close up pictures. Especially handy for an end-of-winter reassembly that started BEFORE winter. LOL

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Even with all of the manuals, there can be difficult spots, especially with a basket case or mismatched year top end. Many little details get lost because the manuals assume that you started with a factory assembled motor. Also, get a brass mallet along with the pullers, etc. Almost nothing that goes wrong with a Triumph motor cannot be fixed with the application of a couple whacks!! (lol)

Also feel free to email me on the tough spots [email protected]

wes

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hey Caffeine..
I'm in the same spot as you right now..
I have engine experience with car's but not triumph's, and i'm going to rebuild my TR6R motor this winter..mine's in a T120R frame.
Glad you posted this..i'll be following along and taking notes..

Douchebag! Haha
Tony
(pakrat32)

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
caffeine said:
Are there any resources out there, books,online resources, etc.

howdy Rob ..

100 very important words to hold utmost : Sludge Trap ..

ok, repeated 50 times = 100 .. gotta split the cases and get the crank on the bench and then it's a battle before you'll even see that bugger ..

but you HAVE to or the motor Will grenade, either shortly or eventually ..

and here's a great resource : a manual Tricor used to train their and dealers' mechanics on 650 overhaul .. Dave Steube sells them on cd .. tell him I sentcha .. [email protected] ..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIUMPH-TRICOR-USA-UNIT-650-ENGINE-REBUILD-MANUAL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ10486QQitemZ7998056754QQrdZ1

Good luck ..

Doug ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
How about pulling the plug and spraying/brushing out the crap in the sludge trap? Or is it best to just pull it out with a slide hammer and replace it with a new one?

My local Triumph guy suggested using a bottle brush and spraying carb cleaner in there to flush out all the crap.

Dragon said:

howdy Rob ..

100 very important words to hold utmost : Sludge Trap ..

ok, repeated 50 times = 100 .. gotta split the cases and get the crank on the bench and then it's a battle before you'll even see that bugger ..

but you HAVE to or the motor Will grenade, either shortly or eventually ..

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
JEB said:
How about pulling the plug and spraying/brushing out the crap in the sludge trap? Or is it best to just pull it out with a slide hammer and replace it with a new one?

My local Triumph guy suggested using a bottle brush and spraying carb cleaner in there to flush out all the crap.

well .. it's just a crude screen/filter device that works because it's it the main crankshaft oil-galley, and by centrifugal action ..

prevailing opinion is to pull it from the crank for a good cleaning, then power-flush the passages as well ..

and I have also heard plenty of debate about leaving it out on re-assembly and relying on external (auto-style) filters, and likewise as much debate on the balance issues of leaving it out ..

my local guy, 30+ years at wrenching and roadracing Brits & ex local dealer http://www.countrysidecycle.com/ does it per factory spec (pull & clean), & it's the only way he'll do them .. have lots of miles on 4 of his builds so far, and never a problem, amazingly oil-tight & smooth too ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Dragon said:

my local guy, 30+ years at wrenching and roadracing Brits & ex local dealer http://www.countrysidecycle.com/ does it per factory spec (pull & clean), & it's the only way he'll do them .. have lots of miles on 4 of his builds so far, and never a problem, amazingly oil-tight & smooth too ..
While I don't have anywhere close to that kind of experience, I would have to jump on the bandwagon and agree. I would would worry that if the screen was out (even with an external filter) that crap would still build up in that area and cause a potential problem. Definitely better safe than sorry.

And Doug, thanks for the extra manual source. I gotta get one of those too.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts

·
Banned
2,854 Posts
Dragon said:

ah HAHH !!

and Thanx for that too ..

somehow I have never managed to get that video, and always knew it was a great resource .. believe he has a separate one for pre-unit as well ..

but Thanx, had forgotten who sourced them, they are kinda scarce ..
You're very welcome....the video moves kinda slow in places, but my first triumph rebuild is a "one kick bike" hot or cold...lovin it!!!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
hatch said:
I ended up buying a BIG easyout......works great.
Same here.

Also, the plug is almost always a real pain in the ass to get out without destroying it. You can drill it and use an EZ out on it too. Rask cycle carries new replacement plugs I believe.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
OK, I'm pulling the sludge trap and flushing the whole thing. I found the Pre-Unit video on egay for $30, can't find the Unit 650 video anywhere except Dave Quinn's website and it's $75. Thanks for all the good info, guys!

Dragon said:

ah HAHH !!

and Thanx for that too ..

somehow I have never managed to get that video, and always knew it was a great resource .. believe he has a separate one for pre-unit as well ..

but Thanx, had forgotten who sourced them, they are kinda scarce ..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts