Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked up a Z1R Helmet that I really liked the style on but no one had it in stores so I bought it online. The helmet seems a little loose. Not massively but comfortable. I was told by a shop that it should be tight fitting? This is my first open face helmet so not sure how it should fit, etc. All my helmets have been Arai Medium Full Face Helmets.

Anyways I did the basic measurements and my circumference of my head and Im about a 22 1/4 in size. I heard Bell, Z1R, Shoei and some other helmets are pretty similiar in sizing. Please see below:

21-5/8" - 22"55 - 566-7/8" - 7"SM
22-3/8" - 22-3/4"57 - 587-1/8" - 7-1/4"MD
Head Measurement
21-5/8" - 22" Small
22-3/8" - 22-3/4" Medium

Im sort of in between the both. Anyone with Bell, Z1R, etc that can comment on fit would be great. I would hate to return this helmet for a small to find out its to small. Sucks I cant try on any helmets locally! I did try a Bilt helmet from cycle gear but the small and medium seem to fit the same and couldnt use them as a comparison as there measurements are way off.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Any helmet to do its job should fit snug without creating pain. If an open face helmet fits very loose the wind noise will drive you nuts. I would say give your Z1R a test spin and if there is tolerable wind noise you are good.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
When I worked parts at the Harley dealer, during the slow times I took all the canned courses to get certified in Motorclothes too, just in case I ever had to fill in over there. Fortunately, I never did. But I did learn to fit helmets. With the helmet on and the chin strap fastened, when you rock the helmet front to back, your scalp should move with it. But it shouldn't be so tight as to hurt. A poorly fitting helmet won't protect you as well as one that fits correctly.

Almost all helmet manufacturers models are shaped a little differently, and of course so is everyone's head. It's really hard to beat trying them on in the store.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any helmet to do its job should fit snug without creating pain. If an open face helmet fits very loose the wind noise will drive you nuts. I would say give your Z1R a test spin and if there is tolerable wind noise you are good.
Only problem is that my bike is not up and running yet! I have my sports bike but may be sort of weird riding with a open face on that! lol I may give it a try around the block to test it out. Also the seating position is going to be different than the Harley so I wont really get the true test but at least a general idea.

Also I cant take off the tags either just in case I have to return the helmet. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I worked parts at the Harley dealer, during the slow times I took all the canned courses to get certified in Motorclothes too, just in case I ever had to fill in over there. Fortunately, I never did. But I did learn to fit helmets. With the helmet on and the chin strap fastened, when you rock the helmet front to back, your scalp should move with it. But it shouldn't be so tight as to hurt. A poorly fitting helmet won't protect you as well as one that fits correctly.

Almost all helmet manufacturers models are shaped a little differently, and of course so is everyone's head. It's really hard to beat trying them on in the store.
Ive been driving around in the neighboring cities to see if I can track down a shop that had Bell helmets or even the Z1R with no luck so I wasnt able to get a feel on them. From doing some reading the Shoei, Bell and Z1R appears to have the same fitments and numbers so just want to get some feel of people who wear open face helmets. When I was at Cycle Gear they did have Shoei in Small and it was putting alot of tension on my upper temple. Also my cheeks seemed to really be pressed in. Sucks they didnt have a Medium for me to try. So basing it off of that Im better off with a Medium but than again its a different manufacture than the Z1R.

Ill try the helmet on later tonight or tomorrow and try rocking the helmet to see if my scalp moves. Ill post the results.

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Ok I went ahead and put it on and fastened the chin strap and my scalp moves when I rock back and forth. When I put the helmet on it slides right on and things are muffled when on but will test on a actual ride. It doesnt hurt at all when on and its pretty comfortable. Some says when its comfortable its to big. Once again I dont want to order a small and find out its to small and each time I return this I get hit with a damn restocking and shipping fee.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I currently have two. One is a bell that is atleast 13 years old. It was actually an old dirtbike helmet of mine that had a removable chin gaurd and visor. I think its a large and I rode with it for the last 3 or 4 months. It doesnt fit tight, it fits just barely snug. It would be fine around town, but at highway speeds around 65-70 it would start to lift alittle off of my head. I just got a biltwell last week and it fits Much tighter its a medium. Its not really uncomfortable, just feels like a helmet. It is such a difference with wind noise too. What I would say is if the helmet feels snug all around your head with no movement between the helmet and your head then you should be good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.