Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just replaced the head gaskets on my 02 sporty. i there is a knocking(pinging) sound coming from the rockers. i m not sure if it the push rod,valves or the rocker arms itself.i would somebody to listen to it to tell if it bad or just keep riding. i tighten the head bolts alittle tighter then before(i tightened them to the gasket instuctions not the fm torque and turn method)i tightened it to 45ft pounds.i think i install every thing correct because this my 3rd time doing this. i had alittle to much oil at first. drain some and it got a little better,but i v read that its a sporty and the valve make some noise some time.i didnt change the valves or the seats. just need some advise. i live in rockland couty NY.anybody out there near here can help.
thanks

·
Registered
237 Posts
Sportster top ends are noisy as hell. A lot of the noise travels up from the cams and lifters, as well.

Is the top end sound different from before you changed the head gaskets?

Are the push rods adjustable?

Is the pinging possibly from low octane fuel?

Have you increased compression or installed a 1200 kit on an 883?

I once tore into a noisy FXR top end to find that adjustable pushrods with no oil holes had been installed. So the only oil getting into the top end was blowing by in the pushrod tubes.

Have you pulled the rocker boxes to check for proper installation and torque of the rocker arms?

What else did you do while you had the heads off? Sound really travels around in these aluminum engines. The sound you are hearing could be generated somewhere else in the engine.

Just some thoughts. Let me know if you find the culprit.

Rythemean

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey rythemean

the noise what not as load befor i did the gasket change. i did put on a vtwin 1200 kit. i had leaks from both cylinders after.i didnt like the paper gaskets from hd, so i bought some james gaket kit and change the gaskits.my push rods are non adjustale.when i did the gasket change i did not take the rockers or the valves ouit . i just striped it down and rebuit it.i did clean all the carbon build up on the pistons and cylinder. iv heard the valve train makes alot of noise but its never been this load. thnaks for the thoughts. i look into the noise coming from somewhere else.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You can also check to see if the pushrods are back in the right spot. Factory pushrods should go back in the hole where they came from - at least on a big twin. Not sure if it matters on a Sporty. I put a 1200 kit in my wife's sporty and the top end got much noisier, plus we started to hear pinging after a couple of hundred miles. Turns out there's not a lot of room between the top of the new piston and the valves and there was some slight contact after carbon built up on top of the piston. Plus some detonation. Adjusted the timing and made sure to buy the highest octane fuel I can find and most of the pinging problems stopped - except in very high ambient temperatures.

If you change to adjustable pushrods, make sure to follow the manufacturer's directions exactly. If they are adjusted incorrectly, you can get all kinds of valve train noise - not to mention damage.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Rythemean

·
Registered
427 Posts
Frosty said:
Get rid of the non adjustable pushrods.It would be my guess that the new gaskets are thicker.Buy the new pushrods and adjust per their instructions.Good luck.
HUH??? Why would one get rid of pre-loaded pushrods on a hydraulic cam?? No need to adjust the valves which mean never have to worry about pre-load in the lifter...never have to worry about a adjustable lifter coming loose...obviously there is something else going on here then the pushrods IMHO...

·
Registered
427 Posts
dgfironworks said:
i just replaced the head gaskets on my 02 sporty. i there is a knocking(pinging) sound coming from the rockers. i m not sure if it the push rod,valves or the rocker arms itself.i would somebody to listen to it to tell if it bad or just keep riding. i tighten the head bolts alittle tighter then before(i tightened them to the gasket instuctions not the fm torque and turn method)i tightened it to 45ft pounds.i think i install every thing correct because this my 3rd time doing this. i had alittle to much oil at first. drain some and it got a little better,but i v read that its a sporty and the valve make some noise some time.i didnt change the valves or the seats. just need some advise. i live in rockland couty NY.anybody out there near here can help.
thanks
If you had no problem with tappet noise prior changing the head gaskets did you use a HD service manual?? I'd bet that you have your exhaust pushrods mixed up with the intake pushrods...believe it or not they ARE NOT IDENTICAL LENGTH...exhaust sides are longer...start there I bet you will find your problem...and by all means do NOT change to adjustable pushrods before identifying the problem before you bend a valve do not run it any longer....I personally would pull the heads again to make sure you haven't already bent them....possible you have both exhaust on one cylinder and they went face to face...is the bike running on 1 cylinder or both...start here...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey chopperchaz
i took off the rear head today(alli had time to do) and both pushrods were in the right place the valve are not bant. could it be the piston hitting because i torqued it to 45 ftlbs. the manual tells you to torque (15ftlbs) and turn method. the gasket pack tell you to torque to 45fts. so i followed the gasket instruction. could it be taking away that little bit a clearence it had.just an idea. ehat do you think. i going to try to get to the other head this weekend. thanks all

·
Registered
427 Posts
(1)Did you visually and measure the length difference on the pushrods?? We will start all over again here...(2)did your bike make a tapping noise prior you changing the head gasket...I don't believe I got a clear answer on that one yet...(3)did you swap out both head gaskets or just the rear head gasket?? If you swapped out both I most definetly would take the front down also...(4)are there any marks on top of your rear piston or valves from interference?? You stated none of the valves were bent how did you come about that determination?? Just visual?? Here is what I would do...never exceed any torque past what the manual tells you to...if I recall correctly torque proceedures are criss cross tighten until you have 15 ft LBS of torque then tightend one quarter turn more in the same sequence...BUT before you get that far I would disassemble the rear head check valve to guide clearence...lay the valve stem side on a table or flat surface and roll the valve with the valve face over the edge and get a visual to see if it is bent...if guides are no play and valves arent bent all should be good there that is if the valve isn't seized to the guide pushing up and down in the head...it does happen..inspect the valve shafts to see if there is any galling of them..galling will be pitted and scuffed real bad if they are that way I would install new ones and when you go do that buy the best that money can buy which is Kibble White Black Diamond valves...I wouldn't use anything else...if any guides are needed go bronze guides...you wanna do this once this will last a lifetime...install new teflon type seals not cheap scraper seals that the factory uses...hopefully we are past that part now...personally now if it were me we have a noise here in the valve train I would look into the pushrods for straightness lay them on a flat table and roll to see if they are bent, rockerbushings, rocker shafts, for wear..lifters, cam lobes, and cam bushings in the cover and cases...check all that stuff to see if there is any wear and for play side to side up and down on the cams...it is possible you have a collapsed lifter...check the lifter bore to see if the plungers are snug up under the retaining clip inside the lifter...check the roller on the lifter for up and down play...replace anything while you are inside the cam chest that doesn't look right...I've never ever heard of any head gasket on a hydraulic pre-loaded lifter motor being to thick that is non-sense...your gasket would have to be over 3/16 thick to even cause a problem....answer the questions I put before you and check the things I told you to...if you changed both head gaskets make sure you pull the front and check the same...you will find your problem...it is possible you had all the stuff cleaned and not lubed properly and threw it on...lifters could of bled down and you didn't pump them up first and collapsed a lifter at initial start by a short rev from trying to start it...any questions feel free to PM me or email me be glad to be any assistence...later Chaz

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok thanks all for your thoughts, but this one was all human error. i bought a set of head gaskets off ebay i thought for a 833/1200 but there were for a 883/1000. so the piston was hitting the metal ring on the gaskets. stupid mistake but easily fixed. my old friend from back in the day was in from LA , he came over to wrench and helped me figure it out. thanks Scott(from choppertown). when we took off the rocker cover the noise was still there, so we took off the heads and noticed the gaskets were the wrongs ones, my bad. luckily there was no damage to anything and we put on the right gasket and she purred. thanks all

1 - 14 of 14 Posts