Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, don't be jealous! I know she's HOT!....

I know it's some sort of 'bob' tank...'fat bob' EZ Bob, Quick Bob, etc...but that's where my vast knowledge ends. What the heck is it? Gallon capacity?
Most important- what mounts do I need to plant this puppy on my '73 Ironhead Sportster?

It is 20" long, 13" wide at the top, 6" wide at the bottom, seat end, and around 8" tall at the top.

Both caps are functional, the left cap has reverse threading- screw it right to take it off. I've not encountered such a beast...what say you?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahhh....that may explain why I've never seen those 'hooks' at the rear on any ez bob I've seen before...

·
Registered
734 Posts
No Harley tank I've ever seen is set up like that. I'm thinking Yamaha. Or at the very least aftermarket.

EDIT. After some thought it's made to fit Superglide tank mounts.

·
Registered
372 Posts
early fxr had the fill neck in the center and stuck up thru the dash. Early FXR also has the tab that sticks out the back of the tank to bolt to the top of the frame under the seat

my guess is FLT since it has the square tunnel, but it still don't look right for an FLT, they were boxier

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm thinking I'll cut out the whole bottom and re-tunnel it- there's a lot of wasted space in there when I set it on my backbone. What gauge steel should I use to do this? I've never messed with a tank before. I can tack it up with the mig and have a buddy of mine tig it up.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I don't care what it is or what you do with it as long as you take the picture of the she-male beast off of it before you post any more pictures of it. :Dhahaha. I would definately re tunnel it to run on a sporty, then you could mount it any way you like. looks like it was for a jap bike though. I can't recall any of the big twins with the square top tube using rear mounts like that.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it is hideous...makes you wonder what people are thinking. It's getting sanded down first thing tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I bought one like that at the swap meet for five bucks. I cut the middle out and with a little work it makes a decent set of narrow fat bob tanks. Somewhere on here I posted some pictures of the tanks when I cut them up. Mine will end up on a 45 project bike I have. I believe they were aftermarket tanks that never really caught on.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I know its impressionistic tribal art but really.... Whats wrong with her tits?

·
Registered
431 Posts
That is a generic Quickbob tank. CCI, Drag,Midwest, they all sell them. CCi sells the mounts for them seperately I believe. It's a stud with two big steel/rubber grommets at the rear and conventional tank grommets at the front. You slide the hooks over the rear mounts and then bolt in the front two. For '82 and up sportsters they need igntion switch relocators, and they take regular ole fatbob dash bases. Mystery solved.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I forgot, the front mount is a saddle type arrangement, which bolts to the stock hole and relocates the mounting forward.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts