Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother just picked up a 1975 XS650 that needs a new rear tire. It's supposed to have a 4.00 - 18. Cheng Shin makes a Bias Ply that size, but I'm a littlew leary of it. What size does that convert to for a radial, and what do you suggest as a good all-around tire for a reasonable price?

Thanks - I'll try to get some pictures up soon.
Jay

·
Registered
257 Posts
KnuckleBuster said:
My brother just picked up a 1975 XS650 that needs a new rear tire. It's supposed to have a 4.00 - 18. Cheng Shin makes a Bias Ply that size, but I'm a littlew leary of it. What size does that convert to for a radial, and what do you suggest as a good all-around tire for a reasonable price?

Thanks - I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

ay
4 inches equals 101 mm so around 100-18 tire is the size you want. But. I have used the Cheng Shin without any issues on the rear.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bad idea to mix bias on rear with radial on front, right?

·
Registered
257 Posts
KnuckleBuster said:
Bad idea to mix bias on rear with radial on front, right?
I wouldn't do it, but if your going to Radial on rear is best. They will roll a little compared to a Bias, on the rear it's not going to affect you as much as if you put one on the front. If you want a higher quality tire bias why not Avon safety milage rear they have good old time looks and work really well. Downside is $90 bucks.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tire on the front seems to be in really good shape. I think it's a radial, but maybe I'm wrong. I'll have to check for sure. I just want him to have a nice matched set (not necessarily brand/model wise, but performance wise).

I'll check what's on it when I get home and post it later.

Thanks oldspeed.

P.S. - you're out near Hudson, aren't you?

·
Registered
257 Posts
KnuckleBuster said:
The tire on the front seems to be in really good shape. I think it's a radial, but maybe I'm wrong. I'll have to check for sure. I just want him to have a nice matched set (not necessarily brand/model wise, but performance wise).

I'll check what's on it when I get home and post it later.

Thanks oldspeed.

P.S. - you're out near Hudson, aren't you?
Nope between Norwich and Oneonta, right in the middle of nothing.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oldspeed said:
Nope between Norwich and Oneonta, right in the middle of nothing.
Yeah, I picked up an engine out in New Berlin a couple of years ago. You're right, it's kind of empty out there...nice scenery, though.

·
Registered
257 Posts
KnuckleBuster said:
Yeah, I picked up an engine out in New Berlin a couple of years ago. You're right, it's kind of empty out there...nice scenery, though.
If you were in New Berlin you were just over the hill from me, if you get that way again stop in and have a beer.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tire on the front is a 3.50-19 IRC. I can get a 4.00-18 IRC for the rear, so I think that's what I'll do.

Oldspeed - I'll be in touch next time I head west!

Thanks again for the help,
Jay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts