Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother just picked up a 1975 XS650 that needs a new rear tire. It's supposed to have a 4.00 - 18. Cheng Shin makes a Bias Ply that size, but I'm a littlew leary of it. What size does that convert to for a radial, and what do you suggest as a good all-around tire for a reasonable price?

Thanks - I'll try to get some pictures up soon.
Jay

·
Registered
257 Posts
KnuckleBuster said:
My brother just picked up a 1975 XS650 that needs a new rear tire. It's supposed to have a 4.00 - 18. Cheng Shin makes a Bias Ply that size, but I'm a littlew leary of it. What size does that convert to for a radial, and what do you suggest as a good all-around tire for a reasonable price?

Thanks - I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

ay
4 inches equals 101 mm so around 100-18 tire is the size you want. But. I have used the Cheng Shin without any issues on the rear.

·
Registered
257 Posts
KnuckleBuster said:
Bad idea to mix bias on rear with radial on front, right?
I wouldn't do it, but if your going to Radial on rear is best. They will roll a little compared to a Bias, on the rear it's not going to affect you as much as if you put one on the front. If you want a higher quality tire bias why not Avon safety milage rear they have good old time looks and work really well. Downside is $90 bucks.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tire on the front seems to be in really good shape. I think it's a radial, but maybe I'm wrong. I'll have to check for sure. I just want him to have a nice matched set (not necessarily brand/model wise, but performance wise).

I'll check what's on it when I get home and post it later.

Thanks oldspeed.

P.S. - you're out near Hudson, aren't you?

·
Registered
257 Posts
KnuckleBuster said:
The tire on the front seems to be in really good shape. I think it's a radial, but maybe I'm wrong. I'll have to check for sure. I just want him to have a nice matched set (not necessarily brand/model wise, but performance wise).

I'll check what's on it when I get home and post it later.

Thanks oldspeed.

P.S. - you're out near Hudson, aren't you?
Nope between Norwich and Oneonta, right in the middle of nothing.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oldspeed said:
Nope between Norwich and Oneonta, right in the middle of nothing.
Yeah, I picked up an engine out in New Berlin a couple of years ago. You're right, it's kind of empty out there...nice scenery, though.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The tire on the front is a 3.50-19 IRC. I can get a 4.00-18 IRC for the rear, so I think that's what I'll do.

Oldspeed - I'll be in touch next time I head west!

Thanks again for the help,
Jay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.