Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a Spyke 3-phase charging system for my shovel. It have 4 pins from the alternator. How do I test the alternator? I have 0,3 ohm between 3 off the pins and 1.4 ohm from 1 pin to the other 3. Is the one pin neutral?
Do I have to ground the neutral pin when I start the bike in open ciricuit(without regulator). I know that the alternator will put out 42 volts at 3000 rpm. I just get 3 volts out between the 3 pins and no grounding on the fourth pin.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
In the old shovel books there is the info you need, I'm away from my books or I'd look it up for ya, however, my advice is to convert to the two pin alt/reg nex time you need to, mutch easyer to check and fix.

.....Roach.

·
Registered
992 Posts
is it second hand? did you test it before installing it?
there should be no continuity between any 4 wires and earth = no buzz sound on your multi meter

.3 ohm is right and logic would say odd 1 out is neutral

I had HD and it was 2 white wire,1 blue and 1 red , none go to earth but there is earth from the regulator , I think from the red .
3v sounds like its earthing or maybe spacing between rotor?

open cicuit v should be high. Id say the reg is diff from HD. Id go for single phase set up too.

hhttp://www.spykeinc.com

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for responding. I looked up in my shovel book. I understand more now. I will go out an check it. Ididn't think off charging from 70 to 75.
Yes it is a second hand buy. I didn't test it before installing it.
Yes it's easyer to have to pin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.