Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I'm having some trouble here. I have a'57 6T and have decided to use a K2F with A/A unit instead of the distributor. In the manuals, both parts and workshop, there is no info for setting up a 6T with a mag.

So, for a '57 6T with distributor it says to set the timing at 1/32" B.T.C. (fully retarded) and valve clearance at .010"

For a same year Tiger 100 with the same cams, with valve clearance set at .010", the timing with mag is set at 3/8" B.T.D.C. fully advanced.

So, theoretically, the 6T with a mag should be set at 3/8" B.T.D.C. !

Well, I have done this over and over again with points set at .012" and timing set at 3/8" B.T.D.C. and it isn't running. I get sputtering and the pipes get hot but it just doesn't seem to want to fire up like a decently times Triumph engine should.

Stats on this particular engine:
Rebuilt top end - .080" over
Rebuilt Mag by Doug Wood
New B8HS Spark Plugs
Rebuilt 376/42 Monobloc
New plug wires

I also ensured the valve timing was correct. So, any ideas from the pre-unit guys running stock 6T cams "ramp" cams and a K2F magneto with A/A unit ? I also have a manual advance mag gear but wanted to try and get it running with the A/A gear.

Maybe I'm missing something or maybe 3/8" B.T.D.C. is incorrect?

Thanks in advance :cool:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tony. I read your reply before heading out to the garage for another "go" at it. I started from the top with the A/A unit installed..again and pop, bang but no cigar.

I started again and installed the fixed gear. Didn't bother to button it up because today I was determined. Whipped out the kicker pedal and first kick without not too much effort and it was purring !! I wasn't even sure at first and it took a second or two to sink in that it was in fact running !!

Thanks for the help and here is a video I took from my cell phone after jumping off the bike to catch the first start-up !!

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b305/whittiger650/?action=view¤t=photobucket-4734-1341441420570.mp4

1 - 3 of 3 Posts