Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I'm having some trouble here. I have a'57 6T and have decided to use a K2F with A/A unit instead of the distributor. In the manuals, both parts and workshop, there is no info for setting up a 6T with a mag.

So, for a '57 6T with distributor it says to set the timing at 1/32" B.T.C. (fully retarded) and valve clearance at .010"

For a same year Tiger 100 with the same cams, with valve clearance set at .010", the timing with mag is set at 3/8" B.T.D.C. fully advanced.

So, theoretically, the 6T with a mag should be set at 3/8" B.T.D.C. !

Well, I have done this over and over again with points set at .012" and timing set at 3/8" B.T.D.C. and it isn't running. I get sputtering and the pipes get hot but it just doesn't seem to want to fire up like a decently times Triumph engine should.

Stats on this particular engine:
Rebuilt top end - .080" over
Rebuilt Mag by Doug Wood
New B8HS Spark Plugs
Rebuilt 376/42 Monobloc
New plug wires

I also ensured the valve timing was correct. So, any ideas from the pre-unit guys running stock 6T cams "ramp" cams and a K2F magneto with A/A unit ? I also have a manual advance mag gear but wanted to try and get it running with the A/A gear.

Maybe I'm missing something or maybe 3/8" B.T.D.C. is incorrect?

Thanks in advance :cool:

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
here is the way we do it,
we set at full advance using a degree wheel at 35-38 BTC. and the way we set the the A/A on full advance by putting a piece of fuel hose in it jamming it into the advanced position, then rotate the points plate in the direction of mag travel until the points just crack open, we find this point with a piece of cellophane in-betweel the points and as soon as it pulls out lock down the gear nut,
We always check the timing with a strobe light on the degree wheel by clamping the spark plugs to the fins of the head and kicking the engine over in the full advanced position, you need to check the fire points of both plugs because often times they are different and you need to do an average timing or shim the cam ring to get them the same.
Hope that helps..

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tony. I read your reply before heading out to the garage for another "go" at it. I started from the top with the A/A unit installed..again and pop, bang but no cigar.

I started again and installed the fixed gear. Didn't bother to button it up because today I was determined. Whipped out the kicker pedal and first kick without not too much effort and it was purring !! I wasn't even sure at first and it took a second or two to sink in that it was in fact running !!

Thanks for the help and here is a video I took from my cell phone after jumping off the bike to catch the first start-up !!

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b305/whittiger650/?action=view¤t=photobucket-4734-1341441420570.mp4

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
just remember the point it fires is when the points just crack open, not at full 12k gap

1 - 5 of 5 Posts