Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone have any idea what this frame is? I picked it up today with a shovelhead I bought, but not sure what it goes to. It is a bolt on hardtail that has some markings on the neck. Just about 4 numbers and some sort of symbol. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the bad pic. I'll try to get some better ones.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the neck and at the rear of the downtube it has a symbol that looks like MB then numbers starting with the letter F. Like Fxxxxx. Anyone know what this is worth?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
MB I believe are the letters identifying the firm that cast the frame and the Fxxxx and all is just the factory casting number. Close to the actual part number and sometimes matching on occasion.

Being a Brit bike guy and mainly Triumph at that, I'd expect to pay anywhere from $250 to $400 for your frame as is.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well since I can't post it on here in the Swap meet (parts for sale) due to not having 50 posts, I guess I'll have to put it on Ebay. It's a shame. I really wanted the people on here to have the chance to buy this. Thanks for all the helpful information.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If you look at it real close, I'm pretty sure it's a '54-'59 pre unit frame with a later unit type hardtail kinda grafted on. I see a pair of bolt holes to the back of the lower rail for a trans mount, and it lacks the rear motor mount a unit type Triumph would normally have.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Well since I can't post it on here in the Swap meet (parts for sale) due to not having 50 posts, I guess I'll have to put it on Ebay. It's a shame. I really wanted the people on here to have the chance to buy this. Thanks for all the helpful information.
There's such a thing as patience. Unless you really need to have the $ back right now, just stash the frame in the rafters. Then do like El Diablo mentioned, post a build thread about your shovelhead. In no time you'll be answering questions and responding to opinions. 50 posts is right around the corner.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha. You guys are right. I should just hold off and wait. It's just that I have too much stuff and not enough storage. Yes I am open to PM's. Shhh! Looks like Shovelhead pics to come. I wish I really knew what the frame was so I could better present it. I also have some better pictures of it that I will throw up on here to up the post count! Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
It's a Unit 650 frame...'63-'70 and my guess is it is most likely '63-'66 as it looks like it has the Nieman lock on the headstock and I don't see the holes for the 1970 front motor mount plates to bolt to.

If you look at it real close, I'm pretty sure it's a '54-'59 pre unit frame with a later unit type hardtail kinda grafted on. I see a pair of bolt holes to the back of the lower rail for a trans mount, and it lacks the rear motor mount a unit type Triumph would normally have.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I put an arrow and location on your frame picture. Look for a number there that starts with DUxxxxxx. That's how Triumph numbered their bikes. There is actually a motor out there with the same number on it:)
The neck is 63-65 with the old 29 degree casting
If you do not find a DU number something happened in the bikes life and you may have to explain things at the DMV.
Triumph frame/engine numbers can be easily found with a google seach. There are several website that make it real easy.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've looked there before, but I'll give it another shot. Didn't see any numbers there. Yeah I figured this bike would be a replacement frame or custom build since the title is long gone. Thanks. I'll check it out tomorrow and post the results.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Well since I can't post it on here in the Swap meet (parts for sale) due to not having 50 posts, I guess I'll have to put it on Ebay.
ssshhhh - If you reply to every new member in the newb section with a "Welcome from Tennessee" post you can have 50 posts this evening.......
We keep that between us OK?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.