Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to get the BSA A10 ready for the El Diablo . It feels like the points timing is off , but I can't get a deg. wheel on the crank because of the spring nut . So How do I check timing is there another mark somewhere . I know on the preunit Triumphs there is a measement on the piston crown from the spark plug hole . Is there one of those for the BSA ? And if so any idea how long and if it is timed in the advanced or retarded position ?

·
Registered
117 Posts
There is a special tool for the BSA A10/A65 for timing.Keep in mind that it's for stock bikes.Not sure what you have for cam,carb,intake. I was lucky enough to finangle a degree wheel on mine.PM me and I'll run to the shop in a day or two and get you all the specs.Why aren't you running a Boyer or something?Guess all us po' boys think alike huh?I got it all wrote down,but maybe someone has the info closer to their desk.

Jimmy D

·
Registered
484 Posts
1) Set points gap to .012" fully open

2) Mount mag on crankcase

3) Remove spark plugs. Put bike in 4th gear & rotate the motor until pistons are 11/32"-13/32" BTDC.

4) If bike has an AA unit, wedge in the fully advanced position. With manual advance mag, fully advance lever.

5) Place gear on shaft and tighten nut lightly but not to grip gear to shaft taper. Rotate mag in running direction until points break.

6) Fix the gear hub to shaft taper by placing a tube spacer or box wrench over gear nut, against gear, and give a light tap.

7) Tighten nut giving wrench a few light taps with a small hammer

8) Turn motor over and check that points begin to open in the correct timing position. Remove the wedge in the AA unit at this time. If timing is checked with the AA in the static retarded position, the point should just start to open when the pistons are at TDC.

Note- As firing intervals are evenly spaced, it doesn't matter on which cam or piston the timing is done. However, it is important that the correct HT lead goes to the right sparkplug. If it doesn't start after a few kicks, try switching the leads.

To be certaiin wires are connected correctly, remove the front HT pick-up which is the most accessible, and also the breaker points cover. Turn motor over until points just begin to open with the brass contact of the collector ring facing the front pick-up opening. The wires from this pick-up should be connected to the cylinder that has both valves closed. Originally, the front pick-up connects to the left side cylinder.

Condensed from J.B. Nicholson. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
was it the a65 that had the notch cut in the flywheels ? one of those old brit twins had a inspection cap on the crankcase you unscrewed and put a plunger tool in the hole. it rubbed on the flywheel and there were dents at tdc and full advance. what the hell bike was that ?

·
Registered
630 Posts
lilbill said:
was it the a65 that had the notch cut in the flywheels ? one of those old brit twins had a inspection cap on the crankcase you unscrewed and put a plunger tool in the hole. it rubbed on the flywheel and there were dents at tdc and full advance. what the hell bike was that ?
That would be yer Triumph unit twins.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts