Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving to California in five months ( from Ohio ), and I need to know what to expect when I try to register my bike. My biggest concern is that it is a newly built bike with a late-model Sporty ( 2002 ) engine, and has no front brake and no signals or horn. It's custom-built, and the title will reflect that, do I need to worry, or is it not as bad as I think it'll be? In Ohio, out of state inspection consists of matching the numbers on the title and bike.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Well in C.A (at least during inspection) no front brake is a no-no. The turn signal thing would only be an issue if the guy inspecting is a real douchebag. Another thing they may do ( some friends have had it done to them some havent) they may test the decibles of your pipes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem coming in from out of state. I've never heard of anyone having trouble. I registered my Flyrite in California without any trouble. I thought you wanted to sell that bike. Still want to sell it?

·
Registered
773 Posts
Just make sure you can back everything up with reciepts, MSO's or whatever you have.

I have a Harley with a non-matching motor, no MSO, no turn signals, and i was able to smooth talk my way through the process.

Just don't be an arrogant prick. They love to fuck with people like that. You can probably register it as a special construction if they don't let it go through as a harley. But then i believe the CHP has to look at it in order to sign off.

Also make sure you've got at least 7500 miles on it.
Thats some other stupid thing they can use to deny...not sure why, but they gave me a bunch of shit about it because i had a newer speedo/tach with only 3000 miles on it. Had to convince the chick that it had many, many more miles on it than that because it was a 91 model.

She also didn't know what the bike was...no HD emblems or anything on it. She thought it was a Corbin because of the tag on the seat.

That should give you an idear of what you'll be dealing with...haha.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If someone wants to buy it, I'll still sell it. It would save the trouble of getting it out there, and I can always build another one once I'm out there.

Silent Ed said:
Shouldn't be a problem coming in from out of state. I've never heard of anyone having trouble. I registered my Flyrite in California without any trouble. I thought you wanted to sell that bike. Still want to sell it?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to get it inspected for a special construction title before I leave here. And the original speedo shows over 7,500 miles, so that should be no big deal to hang on there if I have to.

Ryno said:
Just make sure you can back everything up with reciepts, MSO's or whatever you have.

I have a Harley with a non-matching motor, no MSO, no turn signals, and i was able to smooth talk my way through the process.

Just don't be an arrogant prick. They love to fuck with people like that. You can probably register it as a special construction if they don't let it go through as a harley. But then i believe the CHP has to look at it in order to sign off.

Also make sure you've got at least 7500 miles on it.
Thats some other stupid thing they can use to deny...not sure why, but they gave me a bunch of shit about it because i had a newer speedo/tach with only 3000 miles on it. Had to convince the chick that it had many, many more miles on it than that because it was a 91 model.

She also didn't know what the bike was...no HD emblems or anything on it. She thought it was a Corbin because of the tag on the seat.

That should give you an idear of what you'll be dealing with...haha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts